• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

wind load on signs

signpress

I have to price a job that requires building a new anchor or moving the old anchor of a lighted sign. I have the formula for wind load on the sign, what i would like to know is once you have the wind load for the sign how then do you determine the size of the anchor? Also what type of company would have an auger big enough to excavate a hole that size?

J Hill Designs

1) an engineer can tell you, and then charge you for the wet stamp (which I assume the city would need in the permitting process)

2) 'an auger that big' is a bit vague

3) welcome from cali :thumb:

signpress

1) an engineer can tell you, and then charge you for the wet stamp (which I assume the city would need in the permitting process)

2) 'an auger that big' is a bit vague

3) welcome from cali :thumb:

I have been trying to speak to an engineer friend of mine to ask those questions, I didnt think until you mentioned it, but the city would probably have an engineer on file that they may be able to direct me to, should i not be able to reach my friend before the deadline comes up.

As to an auger that big, most of the signs here are put in by drilling a hole 18, 24, or 30 inches or more in diameter, but i am unfamiliar with any company that would have that type of equipment, well drillers here usually only drill 6 or 8 wide holes, the electric company which cant be hired use an 18 inch auger for the pine light poles.

The main reason for asking these questions to assist in comprising the list of necessary supplies needed to rebuild the anchor, or the equipment, ie. size of crane, necessary to move the existing anchor.

player

Unless the engineer is experienced in signs, he will charge you too much money and over engineer the material specs so you won't be competitive and it will be so heavy you won't be able to lift it. I gave an engineer a book about engineering signs and he did much better after.
The book was $150.

heyskull

I had a similair issue with a job many years ago.
it was a 45'x10' Aluminium sign on three 8" wide posts.
In the end I got my ground engineer friend to work out wind loadings etc. but this did not help for what happened next.

The sign was sited on a small hill and on the day the sign was fitted the weather was blowing a gale and torrential rain.
Let's just say it was the worst weather to fit this sort of sign in, but needless to say the customer insisted it had to be errected that day!
The following morning I had a call to say the sign had moved.
When getting back to site, yes it had moved 2' down the hill but had styed perfectly upright and level!
The issue turned out that due to the amount of water that came down that day and night had saturated the ground so much, the sign just floated down hill!
Turned out the engineer report and wind load was not an issue the biggest issue was an inpatient customer wanting too much too fast.

SC

murdochengineering.com is another good one. For large projects that are more complex, I like Robert James Assoc. They are a bit more expensive, but top notch when you need more "custom" engineering done.