• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window Films - Polyester versus Vinyl

rdm01

We're working on a project for some privacy film for a housing complex. A small number of windows need frosted privacy film. A competing tint company has submitted a bid using polyester film where we quoted vinyl. Their claim is that polyester is superior. I'm unaware of the differences.

What are the pros/cons of polyester film versus the vinyl we quoted?

mmblarg

Not sure, but a quick google search labels polyester as an adhesiveness window cling. If this is the case, then it's possible a window cling fits the job better due to the easier application and re-usability/moveable. If they are close to any picky fingers it's also easier to fix a peeling corner or two vs vinyl which can lose adhesive or delaminate.

We don't touch window clings, but we also don't do much window tint unless it's a straightforward frosted vinyl. Hope this helps

Chasez

One of the biggest differences is that polyester films don't shrink line vinyls do. Polyesters aren't necessarily a cling (moveable) either. We use a ton of polyester films (3M Fasara line) that have permanent adhesive. For the most part polyesters are a bit more expensive than vinyls but if the windows get lots of sunlight the polyester will last way longer.

Chaz