Welcome To Signs101.com

Signs101 is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Window Perf around Rear Windshield Wiper

Discussion in 'Vehicle Wraps' started by DPkleonard, May 19, 2017 at 8:45 AM.

1. DPkleonard

DPkleonard New Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Good Morning! What's the absolute best way to window perf a rear windshield with a wiper?
    If you suggest removing the wiper...how? Thanks!!!

Tags:
  2. Case by case answer. I have done a dozen rear windows with wipers and never had to remove a wiper yet, I make a clean vertical relief cut below the wiper pivot. Remember to inform the customer that they should NOT use their rear wiper with perf on the window ... and be 100% sure to use optically clear over-lam. Hope this helps.

3. rjssigns

rjssigns Very Active Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Last one I did I removed the wiper and installed a cover. Client liked the clean look, I've worked around them too. The ones that don't want them removed are usually good for repeat business as they continue to use the wiper.;)

4. Thanks rjssigns, great idea. I think that is a great way to provide the customer a clean look and keep them from "wiper...ing" my art :) Where do you find "covers"

5. eahicks

eahicks Very Active Member

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    I usually remove the wiper, which leaves just the post with a rubber surround usually. I tape up the perf in place, and where the post sticks in to it, I cut a small hole, or just mark with a Stabilo. Then I measure the rubber trim around the wiper post, and go back to the table with the perf and cut out a circle around that mark or hole I made. I have a circle cutting tool that makes a perfect circle. Then when installing the perf, it fits perfectly over the wiper post.
    Simply slicing a 'relief cut' looks unprofessional and leaves something that can peel up later due to heat, moisture, etc.

6. rjssigns

rjssigns Very Active Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    • Like Like x 1