• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window Perf Laminate

cornflakes

Hi everyone, I read through some of the old posts on here regarding laminate options for window perfs.

I'm a graphic designer and I don't do my own printing. I ordered a 50/50 window perf with a "1.5 mil. Gloss Laminate" on it from one of my vendors, applied it to my window, and the blurriness/haze from it was just too much for me. I've been in cars and busses that have window perfs and they're never this bad. I yanked it off, then I was able to separate the laminate from some of the areas of the print, and without the laminate, the vision from inside the car is great.

So I'm going to get a replacement one now without laminate, but I still want protection. So what's a good recommendation?

I saw liquid and spray options. The spray option sounds appealing to me due to its low cost and simplicity. Which one do you guys use? Any tips on how to get a good application? (I read someone said not to spray it too close or else the spray will randomly get into the holes.)

I'm in Los Angeles, and it doesn't rain much here. We definitely don't get snow.

Thanks for your advice!!

JoshLoring

No lam, use spray lam while still on the paper (never spray on the glass). Install, trim and enjoy.
We dont laminate here in southern Cali- the sun doesn't play nice with Lam. I tell all my customers this. We can laminate it and your blind in the sun, or not and your blind in the rain. Your call.. There is NO perfect solution to this. Not sure there ever will be unless someone makes a really really really thin perf that allows the optically clear laminates to be squeeged onto the glass with zero air capture. Even then... I don't see the sun magically not reflecting off of the laminated perf....

AUTO-FX

I have used frog juice on quite a few with good results. I know some folks here do not like frog juice, but it was fine for my applications. Without laminate film though, the lifespan is lessened no matter what.

2NinerNiner2

There is NO perfect solution to this. Not sure there ever will be ...

Just wondering ... has anyone tried the 3M™Scotchcal™Clear View Graphic Film IJ815, and if so, what were the results?

From their product sheet:

One-way vision achievable due to perforated window film simulation

Just noticed this little asterisk on the product sheet:

*Contra Vision Ltd is the owner of certain patents for one-way
vision and other see-through graphic products. When producing
the one-way vision or perforated window film simulation, graphic
manufacturers need a license and can register and obtain a
license online at www.contravision.com “Online Licensing.”

kirkbedtelyon

I tried the spray on laminate once (office window graphic). Perhaps I did something wrong but the spray tended to span accross the perforations. I had to go back with a brush and compressed air after the installation to clear all the holes (very time consuming). Perhaps someone here has a better solution to this.

It's definately a trade off. There's no perfect optically clear laminate. We have used Lamex and Oracal for years on our bus wraps.

I would think the life span of laminated (with optically clear cold lam) vehicle graphics would be much longer than spray on laminated graphics. Considering all the contact (car washings, etc.) vehicles get.

Certainly advantages and diadvantages either way...

mnapuran

Uhmm... if you don't use a real laminate on window perf you asking for issues.

#1 is considerably less life (especially vs Oracal 290f)
#2 is no visibility in the rain
#3 is getting tons of dirt, etc on the glass in the perforations

Typically any newly installed window perf w/ lam will look "blurry" for a week or so. Time and the sun/heat will work that out.

johnnysigns

I disagree, it largely remains blurry in the perf/lam combo's I've installed. That's with Clearfocus product. Most people I'm installing for now omit the lam altogether and that's in the Northeast where weather runs the gamut.

Premier Wraps

We're located in So California and do cold laminate our windows. Started doing it about 6 months ago as a selling point because no one around here does it. We always spray laminated the perf prior to that. But as an added bonus we can now tell the customer they can see when it rains, use their wiper blades, and roll their windows up and down with no damage. Sales have picked up because of it. That haze is normal, to a point, when first installed. It'll go away in a few days. If it's absolutely horrible like you said, then yes, they didn't use optically clear laminate. We use Avery 1560 but have used 3M 8518 when in a pinch....and yes. 8518 is clear enough for perf.

autowrap

I leave lamination off window perf. The stuff is so cheap that I tell my customers that they can get it replaced for a low cost if it fades from the sun. All about customer service. A happy customer makes a good bird dog!

anotherdog

tried all kinds of laminates, never happy with the results so I usually run with no lam. I have tried all kinds of perf/lam on my own vehicle and was never happy with the results.
I let my customers know what to expect.

Jack Knight1979

Every time I lam perf I get whiny customers. They can't be bothered to wait for the haze to clear. I don't laminate it now. Just replace it when it fades.