• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window perf on roll down window

knucklehead

I just acquired a Chevy HHR, little panel truck thingy. It's white/white/white, lotta white. It has a fixed window on the rear side, and a operational window in rear passenger door. I've got some 3M white window perf, I want to put on these two windows, but not sure about on the roll down window. Never put any perf on anything but a rear truck window. How's this going to work? I do have a small laminator, and some regular laminate. I wouldn't think I need optically clear, for the side windows? Can't see much out of them anyhow.

scott pagan

roll down windows are fine to apply perf to. you could get by without any lam, however dust and water will build up in the perf holes and will make it harder to see out. if you laminate, ordinary lam works but you will not be able to see out (very hazy adhesive). optically clear is best option since the perf itself reduces visibility out. adding an improper lam makes it much worse.

maybe do a test run without lam to see what you think. of all 3 options, none are really warrantied over a year exterior so it's not a long term solution.

knucklehead

Yeah, I was thinkin of going with non-laminated trial first. The windows are pretty worthless anyhow. If I was going to buy one new, I'd get the panel model, with just the two front windows. Thanks

2B

If you add perf to the windows, make sure that you apply the perf below the rubber/felt edge seal of the window seal.
this way when the window is fully up the perf is still below the rubber/felt edge seal and as the window is lowered the perf edge does not catch on the rubber/felt edge seal ie peels it off faster

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Also get you a Sealer Pen and run the sealer across the bottom (all edges even better) so that any up and down of the window doesn't start to peel the perf off.