• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Window perf

Hop1022

we have been using window perf now for years. We are having issues with premature curl and lift off. lamented, or unlaminated, Classic View or Brightline, cast or calendared. We use alcohol to clean the windows, is this my issue? I have seen a lot where people are just using soap and water to prep. It is driving me crazy. Also, wanted to know if sealing the edges would make that much of a difference?

ams

Many use alcohol for prepping substrates for printing, but never heard of using it on a window. Try using a foaming glass cleaner without ammonia, it's pretty amazing stuff. Sealing the edges are fine, but there is no reason it should curl. Make sure the window perf does not touch the rubber strips of the window, that will make it curl, it needs to be 1/16" away or not touching it. I only use the Oracal and Solvex brands. By the way if the window isn't completely 100% dry, it could cause that issue or the flumes of the alcohol could act as a degassing.

Reveal1

We've done hundreds of perf installations. I've had the exact same windows fail at edges and then last 4 years when installed with 3M edge seal tape, so a big proponent of edge seal. Also, we just clean with alcohol.

Chasez

First of all, what media/lam (if any) are you using? Some are only rated for less than a year being short term promo perfs. From what I have seen there aren't too many long term perfs and the ones that i've seen/used are 3-4 year life.

Chaz

boxerbay

all perf is only rated for 1 yr use.
be sure it is fully outgassed before laminating or installing.
use cast perf with cast lam.
dont touch the edges with your fingers when installing and dont let the edges touch rubber.
edge seal. we use oracal 290GF laminate in 1/2" strips.
clean hands.
glass store front get a lot of street grime from the roads. we use simple green in a bucket with water and a broom to clean the glass making sure we scrub the edges real good to get that black soot off the edges and rubber. dry then wipe with alcohol just before installing.

Chasez

all perf is only rated for 1 yr use.

I think you need to do your homework a little better before making a statement like that.

http://www.contravision.com/all-pro...films-for-printing/contra-vision-performance/

scroll to the bottom... rated for up to 3 years unprinted (typically 18 months for printed but its usually longer). There are lots of low quality perfs which are great for short term then there are a few (which there may be more that I don't know about) premium that are meant for longer term installations.

Chaz

Propaganda Ink.

Professional Propagandist
Alcohol or ammonia-based window cleaner shouldn't have any effect unless you are somehow managing to apply the window-perf before it evaporates... which would be difficult even if you were actively trying to do so. However, physical temperature of the windows as well as ambient temperature and humidity can be catalysts or cause for long or short-term sabotage of the installation.

Last edited:

bannertime

Most of the time I've seen this issue, it's because the installer didn't clean the window sill, gaskets or frame. Or when installing at ground level, dirt got kicked up onto the adhesive right before applying it.

Patentagosse

I think you need to do your homework a little better before making a statement like that.

http://www.contravision.com/all-pro...films-for-printing/contra-vision-performance/

scroll to the bottom... rated for up to 3 years unprinted (typically 18 months for printed but its usually longer). There are lots of low quality perfs which are great for short term then there are a few (which there may be more that I don't know about) premium that are meant for longer term installations.

Chaz

Same for Oracal (3675 - 3676) 3yrs. Better bonding too.

Signs 'n' Stuff

Hi Hop
In 27 years I have cleaned windows in one way, many reps have offered MIRACLE glass cleaners. When i test them side by side I always get the same result. My method is 2 drops of dishwashing liquid per litre ( near enough to US Gal.) water, spray the glass squeegee with a rubber squeegee to remove any grit, as this grit will scratch the glass in the next step. Spray again and scrape with a razorblade scraper in overlapping strokes. Spray rinse scourer with a white scourer not green or red as they will scrath glass. Repeat scrape and scourer steps if required. Squeegee dry, you can compare with other cleaning methods by light spray of fresh water No detergent and compare the beading. make sure to wipe any rubber seals with a clean dry cloth.
This gives a clean surface then many of the things mentioned above in terms of keeping the adhesive clean help the process.
Brett

Melks

I like to use edge sealer tape from 3m on all perf jobs. I like to use 3m foam glass cleaner as my final step before graphic application.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
We clean the glass with soap water and alcohol. Then just alcohol and right before we install we use primer 94 around the perimeter of the glass. I usually have to remove the perf because of fading 2 or 3 years later not from peeling. I also use automotive clear to laminate with, my customers don't seem to like the look of film lam. I get our perf from big fish ( Josh ) because i don't care who's perf it is, none of them last that long in Texas sun. I inform in writing to my customers that perf will have to be replaced at least once in the life of their wrap. Most people including myself wait till it looks like shit before replacing, usually around the 3 year mark.