Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 and open type fonts

Discussion in 'Flexi' started by inthesignbiz, Apr 15, 2018 at 11:04 AM.

1. This has probably been discussed previously.

I have Flexi pro 7 installed on a windows 10 computer.
    None of my open type fonts work.
    They do show up in the font preview.

What is the solution to fix this issue?

For the record, I HATE windows 10. Just so you know.

Tags:
  2. Joe House

Joe House Member

Feb 5, 2004
    WA
    Upgrade Flexi

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3. I thought about that but, it seems that every time I upgrade a program, I find that it's not that much better than the old one.
    Spent a lot of money and got little benefit.

4. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    Flexi is on version 12 now, so I'm willing to bet that it just isn't supported on Win 10 at all.

If you don't want to upgrade to 12, then either use it on an older computer with an OS that's supported for ver. 7 or run an older OS that is supported as a VM on a newer computer (what I do, but it depends on the specs of said newer computer).

If I'm not mistaken Flexi 7 is setup for 2003 Server, XP and Vista, outside of those OSs anything could have been deprecated in newer OSs that might make it harder to run especially with regard to Win 10 in it's rolling release beta update form.

5. studio 440

studio 440 Member

Jul 19, 2010
    cali
    or as a last option convert o t fonts to true type format a pain and you have to do one at a time and only if true type supports the conversion

6. Jburns

Jburns Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Denver
    Or can you right click the Flexi icon, run in XP Compatibility mode?

7. WildWestDesigns

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN

Compatibility mode may work, it just depends on if anything has been removed. For instance, even though on 64 bit you have Win 95 and Win 98 compatibility mode, if the program in question has any 16 bit code in it (even if it's just an installation stub), it won't work because there is no 16 bit code in a Win 64 bit install. 32 bit Windows is a different story.

Things like that.

8. Ian Stewart-Koster

Ian Stewart-Koster Active Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Qld, Australia
    I found a 64 bit system would not run older Roland Camm-1 plotters, not in compatibility mode, and not as a Virtual machne either.
    The answer was to buy an older WinXP 32 bit system, and another as a spare, while they're cheap!

9. WildWestDesigns

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    There is no difference between running a virtual 32 bit Win system and keeping an older 32 bit Win box. As long as you can pass through the necessary hardware to the VM. As far as the machine goes, it is communicating on a 32 bit Win environment.

Running a VM would be far better then having to worry about keeping legacy computer components working.

Personally, I would hate to have to keep sourcing physical components to run Win 98, when it's far easier to use computers that are current and VM off that.

Bare in mind, I'm talking about VMing a legacy Windows OSs, not running a current OS as a VM (I could read your comment Ian as if that's what you were thinking that I was talking about, that may not be what you meant, but I could read it as such, so I'm just making sure that it was known I was talking about VMing a legacy OS, not a current one, that would, as you mention, serve no purpose).

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 9:40 AM
  10. Ian Stewart-Koster

Sep 27, 2003
    Qld, Australia
    The 64 bit system would not let the Virtual XP Machine talk to the Com1 serial port nor the LPT
    We lost over a day trying every workaround we could find.
    It was not happy with the 32 bit drivers either.

11. WildWestDesigns

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    What specific program were you using for the VMing?

I use VirtualBox for direct VMing, when running Win 98, I use VirtualBox for the Vista VM, then within Vista I use VirtualPC 2007 to run Win 98 (to my knowledge Win 98 is no longer supported on programs say VMWare and Parallels (I don't use Mac, so this option is irrelevant to me) and VirtualBox never supported it) and I'm able to get Com ports to work.

Now, VirtualPC is no longer used to my knowledge since after XP Mode for Win 7 Pro (and up) users. So that's why I'm thinking if you are using a Windows VM solution, that may be the problem.

12. Ian Stewart-Koster

Sep 27, 2003
    Qld, Australia
    VMware I used...

13. WildWestDesigns

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    That is strange. VMWare is usually pretty good. When I first moved over to Linux, I did a demo of the full version of that and it was far more refined the VirtualBox, I'm surprised that COM ports didn't work.

Now, I don't know if Player is limited in that regard, but I'm surprised to read that COM ports didn't work on the full version.

14. Thank you all so much for the input!
    We run 9 computers and only one has windows 10.
    The others are XP.
    I may be an old dog but I much prefer XP to the newer.