Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows 7 or signlab 8 needs a kick in the gonads

Discussion in 'General Software' started by gabagoo, Oct 18, 2012.

1. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I have no idea which software is giving me these 2 issues but I like to use my desktop to save files that are going to be used shortly or for emailing purposes or for importing into Signlab from emails.
    many times I save eps files to the desktop and then when I go into Signlab 8 and try and import the file... it is not there.
    I then go back out to look at the desktop and yes it is there. I then go back into Signlab and try importing again and poof now it is there.

I would think maybe I did not see it the first time, but it has happened so many times now, that I know it is either signlab or windows causing it.

Secondly, if I save a file as a pdf from Signlab8 and then realize I need to make a change to it, when I resave it over the existing file, and it asks me permission to, I click yes.

The file never changes and is still the old file. It just did it to me on a print twice. It seems I have to either rename the file or delete the original as it will not overwrite even when told to.

so you think it is windows causing this or Signlab?

Tags:
  2. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    I think I had this problem too...I forget what the deal was. I don't have signlab so I would point it towards a Windows 7 issue...but I really can't remember what was happening. It was something with saving on my desktop and not being able to find it when browsing my desktop.

Maybe if you google "Windows 7 needs kicked in the gonads" you will find an answer.

3. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario

lmfao... err wait I found it!!!!:thankyou:

4. rcook99

rcook99 Very Active Member

May 25, 2006
    NE
    I have the same problem with SL9.1. If I save to eps from Corel X-6 and try to import them into SL nothing shows up. If I try to start a new file SL asks if I want to save it before I start the new one yet there is nothing on the screen. WTF If you find the problem please post it.

5. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario

that is an entirely different issue and I think it has something to do with all this masking crap. I find Flexi opens those file sometimes better

6. rcook99

rcook99 Very Active Member

May 25, 2006
    NE
    Even a simple vector it does not show up! Keep in mind I learned on Corel and use SL for print and cut things but prefer Corel.

7. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I think the newer version of Corel may be making masks, or if the canvas is included in the file it automatically makes one...something like that...so once again we are continually forced to upgrade software to open newer softwares files...like a cat chasing it's tail

8. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Ditto here.

But to make it even easier, just place a folder on the desktop and place your files there. It works for me...everytime.

HB