• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

windows 7 starter or xp

wes70

Planning on (finally) purchasing a netbook this week. Probably an Asus, as it is much easier to upgrade ram. Anyways, which windows operating system uses more ram, xp or 7?

choucove

Windows 7 Starter edition is not something I've worked with, and really not preferred. It has been been somewhat design handicapped in that it limits what you can do and how much hardware can be in place on that system. If the netbook isn't quite powerful enough to run the standard Home Premium edition of Windows 7, then I would stick with XP. This, however, is just my opinion really.

wes70

I've read that 7 starter is somewhat limited. Dell mini 10 comes with XP, but I'm not sure if it's as easy to upgrade ram as it with the Asus. Perhaps a little more research. I'm kind of being petty considering it's just a notebook, but I want to make sure I make the right netbook purchase.

Thanks guys for info.

Wes

choucove

While there might not be much difference in the ability to upgrade between the Dell Mini and the ASUS, generally there is a difference in the quality. ASUS is a premium brand for computers, and in fact in recent years have ranked the same if not better overall quality than Apple, which has usually been known for quality build components.