• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows 7

stoliker

I was thinking about taking the leap to a new Windows 7 PC and was wondering if anyone had any issues with there cutters upgrading? I am running Omega 4.0 with an Edge2 and Envision 15", an Odysey2, A GX-24 and the one I think will be the headache, A Mimaki Cg-60. Any insight would be great!!

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Get Win 7 Professional...you'll be allowed to run XP as a dual operating system.

JB

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Get Win 7 Professional...you'll be allowed to run XP as a dual operating system.

JB

Please take note (I've been told) that XP mode may require certain hardware to run (processor, chipset, bios, etc... ). XP mode will not run on just any machine.

qmr55

I have not seen a true real live occurence of that.

I had an HP vista laptop that someone gave me almost brand new, I upgraded it to XP and it wouldn't run because of the bios that was installed on the laptop. After some changes I got it to work, but I have seen this occurrence before.

SignBurst PCs

Please take note (I've been told) that XP mode may require certain hardware to run (processor, chipset, bios, etc... ). XP mode will not run on just any machine.

For a while, this was true (mostly PCU dependent). After a while, XP Mode was changed to support most any modern processor.

Please note that XP Mode is not "dual boot", but a Virtual PC. There is a big difference. It is a virtual Windows XP computer running inside your Windows 7 computer. It is pretty cool.

Basically, you just get a window that looks like a whole new computer inside it, with Windows XP running. You are still running Windows 7 and all your other applications, there is just a window running XP in a separate window (that can be shut down, minimized, maximized just like any other window).

SignBurst PCs

As for the original question, Omega 4 is good on Windows 7, but you may run into cable issue with certain devices. Tony has spelled this out many times and you can search the forums for answers.

If you need help, feel free to give me a call.

SignBurst PCs

Vista could do the same thing, it just wasn't included. Virtual PC has been around for a while. Windows 7 simply comes with a free XP license (XP Mode).

WildWestDesigns

I had an HP vista laptop that someone gave me almost brand new, I upgraded it to XP and it wouldn't run because of the bios that was installed on the laptop. After some changes I got it to work, but I have seen this occurrence before.

That's different scenario from running a virtual drive like is being discussed here.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
For a while, this was true (mostly PCU dependent). After a while, XP Mode was changed to support most any modern processor.

So, if I were to let my two-year-old laptop running Win7-64 HomePremium update itself to current, I could have XP-mode working? Or was XP-mode only available with Win7 Pro?