• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows updated now versaworks won't open

Jkpdesigns

helppppp need to cut about 10 yds of vinyl on Roland vp300 windows did and update and now versaworks won't open..... I don't have disc I bought cutter used and was provided a link for the software which I no longer have

WildWestDesigns

helppppp need to cut about 10 yds of vinyl on Roland vp300 windows did and update and now versaworks won't open..... I don't have disc I bought cutter used and was provided a link for the software which I no longer have

Roll back your Windows the previous known good version. If you are sure that it was the update that it did.

While updates in of themselves are good things to make sure your computers are patched etc, keep production rigs off the internet. If you are running Win 10, that is even more of a reason to do this. Keeping production rigs off the internet precludes the need for patches, updates etc.

Jkpdesigns

My laptop says it's running windows 10 but my pc shows windows 7 I've tried everything to roll it back and can't get it done

WildWestDesigns

My laptop says it's running windows 10 but my pc shows windows 7 I've tried everything to roll it back and can't get it done

What exactly did you try? Did you try to boot into safe mode (little more problematic in Win 8 and Win 10 (in fact, I dislike the changes that MS made for this functionality (and they really made things worse in my mind)) and delete the installed updates?

Did you do a System Restore?

timgo

Graphics Designer

After the update your windows, some third party program do not work \ not working properly !!!

Reinstall the VersaWorks software.

timgo

Graphics Designer
What software do you use for your VersaWorks?

visual800

he doesnt have the software to reload versaworks. he doesnt have the link to where he can download it, he says.

good luck and when you do figure out how to roll it back cuts windows updates off OR as Wild said keep it off the internet

WildWestDesigns

0.02: Have you tried running VW in administrator mode?

I would suspect that if he only has 1 account on both rigs, he is already running as admin.

The default account when you only create 1 account in Windows is as admin. Like many of the security issues in Windows, MS sacrifices security for convenience. Most people only setup 1 account on Windows (and without even a password) and that is the admin account. Even if it's a 2 users machine and you have 2 accounts on there, that 1st one created is the admin.

It needs to be, however, how many users + 1 when doing accounts and that "+ 1" is the admin account that is only touched for specific reasons.

Even doing the right click -> run as admin probably wouldn't net one much. The biggest thing is to try to run Windows in a minimalist environment (hence Safe Mode). If it runs there, then there is a good chance that it's a software issue and more then likely related to updates, if updates were the last thing installed.

Running any program, in a perpetual state of "admin" is not a good thing (especially if it's a legacy program (I'm not saying this version of VW is a legacy program, just giving an example), which some of them did require this on too new of an OS). One of the biggest reasons why UNIX-like OSs (Linux and Mac) fair better is their devision of permissions right out of the gate. Especially if that computer is connected to an outside network. If it isn't, then do whatever you want, but if it is, even for brief moments, I wouldn't suggest running anything in perpetual admin mode. Programs shouldn't require it once it's installed.

he doesnt have the software to reload versaworks. he doesnt have the link to where he can download it, he says.

good luck and when you do figure out how to roll it back cuts windows updates off OR as Wild said keep it off the internet

In order to cut off updates on current Win 7 devices and Win 10 in general, would require a registry change. Essentially, you would have to tell the computer that both connections (wired and wireless) are metered. Yet another reason why I don't like the direction that Windows is going in.

This used to be an easy option (at least for wireless) in Win 10, just another toggle option. However, in MS' infinite wisdom, they took it out. It was never there easily for wired as the assumption is, more often then not, wired connections are not metered (not a good assumption, but I could understand it). It was even easier in Win 7 and Win 8.1 before Win 10 was on the scene.

There are pros and cons to forcing updates off (just like ticking "no updates" in previous versions of Windows, although with Win 98, it had that annoying reminder once every 24 hrs). The way that MS is doing things now, in my opinion, is not good in the enterprise/production environment (production being our environment). Bare in mind, each new build of Win 10 (Anniversary Update, Creator's Update etc) is only good for 18 months from when they original release it. If you stay on that previous build past that time, your version of Win 10 is EOL. If I'm reading the information coming from MS correctly.

That makes Windows 10 essentially a rolling release OS. Not good for an environment that needs stability. For casual users, probably be alright (although my dad, who is the only one that has Win 10 and who doesn't run niche, esoteric software always had issues with updates).

The one thing that really ticks me off is removal of options at MS' discretion. If I was to get a version of Win 10, it would be Pro (I couldn't get Enterprise, which would be the best version), for the biggest reason is being able to shut off the Win Store. They took out that ability. They can literally deprecate any ability that they want with any update. If one is running older hardware and/or running older programs, or even current programs that are using system calls that MS decides to deprecate or change how they are handled that would be a stability issue.

All of this though can be settled by just keeping it off the internet or isolate in a virtual environment to where it doesn't get internet, but the host machine does.

WildWestDesigns

We also need to “run as administrators “ even logged in as admin.

That is not a good thing from a security standpoint, especially if it's connected to the internet. 99% of the programs that I run (with the exception of one program that I run in an isolated Win 7 VM that is from the Win 98 SE days requires to always be run in admin, due to it's compatibility need, it wouldn't need it if I was running 98 SE, ME, but that was also the nature of the 9x line as well, they were always in a state of "run as admin" they were not a true multi-user system) do not require this. You would need to run as admin to install it, but once it's installed, that's it, it should not have constant admin access and be online. This should be the case for any modern Windows program that you would not need to "run as admin" with the only exception of installation.

I know I seem hardcore about this, but no use making things easier for people (like companies that you see in the news that should have the resources to do better) to exploit your network.

I thought you were a Mac person as well, I'm surprised that any UNIX-like system would allow for that. Usually they are better about that, unless you are running a VM or dual boot option of Windows.

Last edited:

Jkpdesigns

When I try to restore back it doesn't allow me to pick date and time the windows update happened 9/28 at 1:40 pm versaworks has not worked since I will definitely get the laptop off on internet when I get this fixed I was running 4.8 on versaworks I'll try safe mode again but it didn't seem to work the last time

WildWestDesigns

When I try to restore back it doesn't allow me to pick date and time the windows update happened 9/28 at 1:40 pm versaworks has not worked since I will definitely get the laptop off on internet when I get this fixed I was running 4.8 on versaworks I'll try safe mode again but it didn't seem to work the last time

When booted in safe mode did you go to Programs and Features from the Control Panel and then view installed updates? Look at it by the dates to confirm which update(s) where installed on that "traumatic" date etc.

But it wouldn't allow you to do a System Restore to a certain point? Has System Restore been enabled? That may seem like a strange question, but I have seen some systems where it wasn't enabled by default, so I have to wonder if it's a certain OEM(s) that don't do it etc.