• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

windows updates and Signlab has changed!!

gabagoo

All I know is that Windows 7 did about 9 updates last night before leaving and this morning on my first attempt to open Signlab 8, it failed and then i rebooted the computer and now the screen is all back to factory defaults.
This is about the 3rd time this has happened since moving to Windows 7.
What the hell is going on here? Am I an isolated case?

genericname

Are you dual booting? Could be that booting into XP erases your Win7 settings, if it's not set up properly. Long shot though.

I'll echo the last post... turn off automatic updates. I let it download automatically, but have it get my ok before installing anything. That way you at least get a better idea of what it's installing, and undoing any damage made is a little bit easier.

gabagoo

nope...I am not sure if it is due to the updates or if it is caused by trying to start Signlab up while other programs are loading...Like Outlook. It seems to hang Signlab and then when you reopen it, the program goes back to a factory default. OK though, after some tinkering I found under toolbars a custom setting and I had actually saved it from the last time this happened.

gabagoo

OK, I could be wrong here as my custom shortcut icons are not there.
hmmm, now I can't seem to figure out how I got the shortcut icons up there....more tinkering.

Now where does one go to turn off all updates and I guess the question is.... don't I need the windows updates for security purposes?

genericname

Windows update settings should be in your control panel (pardon, away from a Win7 machine at the moment).

Turning them all off seems a little extreme to me too. What's the rationale behind that guys? Seems like quite the security vulnerability.

Baz

I am of the opinion that a production computer should not be connected to the internet for this exact reason.

gabagoo

I am of the opinion that a production computer should not be connected to the internet for this exact reason.

I am not 100% sure but my 3 computers are all networked together and because of that they all have internet access. The networking is so convenient for moving files..

I never use the internet on the computer that runs my printer, but I think to be networked it has to be hooked up to the internet? no? I am not sure.

Baz

I am not 100% sure but my 3 computers are all networked together and because of that they all have internet access. The networking is so convenient for moving files..

I never use the internet on the computer that runs my printer, but I think to be networked it has to be hooked up to the internet? no? I am not sure.

No it doesnt have to have access to the internet. That can be set to only communicate with other computers. Or so technicians tell me.

The last time my "production" computer was connected to a network with my other two computers, my technician had it set that way. And for the most part internet access was not working. But the odd time i could hear the computer working by itself and found that it had configured itself to go online. Really weird!

Granted i have a small shop so it is easy to have my "network" on a USB stick and just transfer files that way. Also .. i dont ever wory about viruses on my production pc since there is no internet at all!!

Try asking whoever set up your network to configure your pc with signlab to remove online priviledges and only communicate with your other pcs.