• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows Vista

Deaton Design

Any Vista users out there? Thinking of upgrading to a newer computer in the future, and wondered if I should stay with XP, or go to Vista.
Is it a buggy OS, or have they got it all worked out now.
Thanks....

Jon Aston

Vista user here, of the "non-technical" variety.

Vista came loaded on a shiny new Dell XPS notebook I bought myself several months ago. XP wasn't an option at the time. Vista sucked. All kinds of software compatability issues, driver issues, and blue screens of death (which I hadn't seen for years) at the rate of about 3 per day.

Since installing service pack 1, I am ALOT happier. Still not perfect, but a 1000% improvement. No BSODs.

Hope that helps!

GP

JUST A HEADS UP---

If you consider buying an off the shelf PC, be sure that if can easily be downgraded to XP. I had a lot of trouble finding the correct drivers for my HP.

I am fairly knowledgeable when it comes to computers and it took A LOT more time than I anticipated.

GP

weaselboogie

I have Vista on a laptop. It's been ok, but I don't use the laptop for daily use, so by no means have I put it through a lot of use.

iSign

I have Vista on a laptop. It's been ok, but I don't use the laptop for daily use, so by no means have I put it through a lot of use.

kinda the same report here. Over a year now, with no complaints on Vista... but I still wouldn't get it again. I've loaded & run Quickbooks, Omega, Enroute Pro, and all my Adobe software, but never output files to any devices.

It is my understanding that even though, like jon said, when I bought my laptop, you could no longer get a machine with XP already loaded, that is no longer the case.

You said in the near future John, I would make a few calls now, and see if you can find out how much longer XP machines may be available, because it probably won't be for long. (Also, even though I believe you could buy an XP machine today... it won't be at BestBuy or Costco... probably more likey at places like Dell.com or Sonystyle.com

Steve C.

Consider upgrading the machine you have. Max it out with more memory. etc.
Thats what I intend to do in a few months.

Brands Imaging

upgraded the sh*t out of an old pc for my RIP pc - then just bought a custom machine that was XP only -

didnt even feel like attempting to bother with vista - I have it @ home on my pc there but didnt even feel like thinking about the headache in my shop.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
check if the software/machines you have are compatible with vista and if not, are drivers available for them? i've been working in vista for about a year and a half now....my desktop at home was picked up the day vista came out last year (not by choice)....i haven't had any issues, aside from a problem i was having where it wouldn't show internet access, which i was able to fix...i'd recommend vista....whether everyone likes it or not, it's going to be the standard.....

Master's Touch

John, I have Vista on my home design comp. It hates signlab, I can tell you that much. I would also be afraid of trying to connect it to older cutters/plotters or printers....

Techman

.i'd recommend vista....whether everyone likes it or not, it's going to be the standard.....

Mistaken,, Vista is already on the way out. M$ moved the next iteration of winders for release in about 10 months,,

OldPaint

VISTA IS THE NEW WINDOWS ME!!!! how many of you still have that POS??? DO NOT UPGRADE TO IT, it aint gona be around much longer. like techmans says....they got the NEXT GREAT WONERFUL WINDOWS O/S on the way.

Chiproller

Any Vista users out there? Thinking of upgrading to a newer computer in the future, and wondered if I should stay with XP, or go to Vista.
Is it a buggy OS, or have they got it all worked out now.
Thanks....

I hated Vista too but then started using the administrator account as opposed to a User account and have had no probs since.

dhamlett15

I just got a new pc with vista over the weekend. It took all weekend but I finally got everything working and flexi 8.5 seems a little buggy with vista. Had trouble installing my printer that is a little over a year old. Quickbooks 2007 seems to be doing fine from the start.

I have not tried it yet but with vista buisness or ultimate are suspose to be able to run xp inside of vista.

wes13

yeah I would hang on to XP as long as possible, I switched to Vista awhile back, and I could not get Roland Versaworks to function properly, or flexi sign, if it works for you then use Vista i guess.

Techman

Wheres signburst pcs :)

What can he say that hasn't already been said.

Vista sux,, M$ knows it.. It is not well appreciated because it is all flash and glitter. It does not enhance your user experience. M$ has all but admitted it.

And in fact in the latest M$ release rumors they are considering complete backwards compatibility. Why because They realize no one is will spend $400 bux for another NEW OS just to get more driver issues, more hardware problems. and worse,, more relearning a new os.. Forcing a user to spend thousands for new hardware just to operate an OS is too much to ask.

The relearning part is a hard pill to swallow. The biggest complaints are: Why learn new keystrokes for the same commands. Why put in a new program start menu that is worse than the old one. Why change anyting that is already tried and proven technology just to look different and make users think its something great. , And why must we accept auto updates that screw with our settings and third party goodies?

SignBurst PCs

Here we go again. Sorry, I was pretty busy after the Long Beach tradeshow.

My heck, you people make it sound like Vista is the devil. If you install it on a decent machine with newer software, with SP1, it is a great OS. I have yet to see any reason to want to downgrade to XP unless you have legacy software that isn't compatible with Vista.

As a matter of fact, if you would get off your "Vista Sux" rant, and actually take some time to learn, it actually has a lot of new stuff that can make your life a lot easier. The backup features alone are worth the price of admission.

Yes, for a while there were driver issues, most of which have been sorted out by now. Prior to SP1, there were IO speed issues, but those have been rectified as well.

If you want it to look "old school" it is only a couple clicks away. You can turn off the UAC if you don't like the warnings that you get when you try to make administrator-level changes (or install software). For the average user, it isn't much different than XP other than the added bells and whistles, but you don't have to use them.

I talked to Onyx, SAI, Cadlink (SignLab), and Wasatch last week. All are Vista compatible in their newest releases, and nearly all will be Vista64 compatible within 6 weeks. Not to mention the CS4 suite will been available in a Vista 64 version this time around.

Relearning is a part of life. Why fight the current when you can ride the wave? It's not like you have to relearn everything. There is very little fundamental change in the OS from a user's standpoint.

I would bet the farm that the next version of Windows WILL NOT, repeat, WILL NOT be available in the next 10 months. Are you nuts? I haven't even seen a public RC yet. We are a ways off from Windows 7 being ready acceptable. Let's say that the RTM version of Windows 7 (next version of Windows which is to replace Vista) is available in 18 months (if we are lucky). Then I am going to guess that a Service Pack will be available approximately 12 months after that. I would bet that many will wait for the first SP before upgrading. 2 1/2 years is a long time to wait to upgrade your PC.

I would be willing to bet that in 2 1/2 years, there will be a lot of whiners complaining about Windows 7 too. I heard the SAME complaints when XP was released. It is amazing how XP was sooo hated when it was released, but now everyone is clinging onto it like a security blanket.

Just my 2 cents. I am by no means "right", just educated and opinionated.

My opinion is just that and you know what they say about opinions.

P

ProWraps™

commodore 64 here. runs corel 3 awesome. i highly recommend.