• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Windshield Lettering Question

Baz

It sure looks allot better. If you install a straight line it will drop down on both sides.
Lay your measuring tap across the top of the windshield and measure how much the arch drops down in the center.

For a full vinyl strip:
I keep a strip of clear 1/16" acrylic that's about 72 inches by 12 inches.
I tape it straight along the top of the windshield and draw a line with a blue grease pencil, marking both ends as well.

Once that's done i lay the acrylic flat on my table and draw the bottom arch (usually 6 inches) by following the top arch.
Then draw a rectangle along all four edges and take measurements of it along with all the reference points to recreate it in the computer.

Sounds like allot but it is real easy and a precise way of reproducing it

I use Flexi, which has a distort tool that works really well for that. It keeps the letters straight up and down, but curves the top and bottom of them. This isn't an exact description of what it actually does, but I hope you get the idea. Putting the lettering in an arc would have them angled more as you go out from the center. I still remember the first sad face windshield lettering I did, lol.