• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wireless Network Bridge

Tovis

Network #1) I have 1 wireless router thats on a network

Network #2) I have another router that is on a network

We are having to transport the files between the networks on a thumb drive.

I want to create a wireless bridge between the 2.

Would it work to turn on Internet Connection Sharing in windows vista and bridge the 2 networks from a computer on network 2?

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
best way to do this is to replace your non-wireless router with a straight switch, then plug it into one of the ethernet ports (usually 4 of them) on the wireless router.

Job done.

Also, you may be able to configure your current non-wireless router to act as a switch. Then just do as above.

signswi

Are they both actually functioning as routers, not just as access points? That'd be extremely odd, it would mean you have two internet connections (two different ISP connections).

choucove

First, do you need these two to be separate networks for any reason? Is that why they are running off of two separate routers? If all you're wanting is to make this into one big network, then the easiest thing and best thing to do is pull out one of the routers and just connect a gigabit switch behind the remaining router and plug all your computers into that switch. This way you don't have to go into the router settings and configure anything at all, it's just a matter of moving around a couple cables and is much more efficient than trying to do bridging.