• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wireless Print Server

Doug Pulver

I just purchased a Summa D60 Vinyl plotter and would like to hook it to a network through a linksys WPS54G wireless print server. Has anyone tried to do this or is it even possible to do? I would be using the USB on the plotter to the server.

SignBurst PCs

I just purchased a Summa D60 Vinyl plotter and would like to hook it to a network through a linksys WPS54G wireless print server. Has anyone tried to do this or is it even possible to do? I would be using the USB on the plotter to the server.

Doug,

I would recommend that you do not do this. Wireless networking is great for number of things, but I wouldn't connect a digital printer or cutter via a wireless connection. There are just too many variables that could give you grief. I am a fan of a "wired" connection to any printer or cutter.

Rhino

I kind of agree with Casey. Your wireless Print Server could work for a month or a hundred years, but one day, it will cause you to go bald. They do make wired print servers. I think they are cheaper. And they are easier to set up and a little more reliable.

A wireless print server should work, but it's a gamble.

meltsner

We have tried this with success, although we were using our dtg (direct to garment) printers. It did print through the standard printer driver, but not through our rip.

We quickly switched back to a wired world of printing and would also recommend not going wireless. Most of the time wireless data is slower than wired, and yes, can be a struggle to set up.

Doug Pulver

Sounds like wired is the way to go if I want to hook up to the network. The longest USB cable I could find localy is 15 feet, that's why I was asking about wireless. I'm probably going to have the plotter 30 feet from the computer. Thanks for all the help.

jiarby

too many dropped ethernet packets and re-transmissions to work well with streaming jobs to a printer... You can get it to work, but sometimes now and then it just won't connect and you will spend time putzing with it.

It would be better with a plotter than a printer...jobs are alot smaller. definitely a wired connection is faster, and more reliable. It is a PITA to pull cable but you won't regret it.

Pull cable, cry once. Go wireless, cry every day!

animenick65

I agree with others, wireless networking is to finicky. You run a business and NEED your printers to print when you want them too. Use a cable.

sarge

One of my plotters and a D60 .. but i would never use a wireless print server .. i am a small shop .. i built my own server and it serves 2 purposes, 1 as a file server and the other as a print server .. it works well for me .. i have a wireless router mostly for using the laptop and 1 desktop that is not used for any graphic work .. actuall the grandkids use it for their games and interent stuff .. i would do 95% of all my work on the wire .. it is so much faster and your packets dont get so mixed up

Doug Pulver

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm going to pull some cable. I'm glad I asked before I went out and got all the wireless stuff. I do have a wireless access point (WAP) to run a laptop but I don't do any cutting with it. I've got an HP laserjet printer hooked to the network but it has it's own network card installed. I thought I'd like to have the plotter setup the same way but I ran out of open ports on the back of the router. I am going to swap out the WAP for a wireless router which will free up a port and try a wired print server. Thanks again.