• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help With SEAL 54 Base Laminator top roller heating up when machine on standby...

Neil ADS

Hi All.
As Title says I'm having a problem with my Seal 54 Base laminator. Two days ago whilst the machine was in standby mode with top roller heater switch turned OFF the roller started to heat up on its own? I immediately unplugged power from wall. I have had a quick look inside and no fuses have been tripped (to my untrained eye).
As soon as I plug machine into power socket in wall the top roller starts to immediately heat up, even when machine is in standby mode. Roller Switch is definitely turned off.
Has anyone had similar issues or can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to start looking?
In the meantime I assume I will be able to continue laminating my digital prints with top roller heating.
I am printing using a Roland SP540V using genuine Roland inks. Normally using oracle or metamark vinyl and matching laminate.
Thanks
Neil

dypinc

First thing I would do is find all the control cards and reset them, with unit unplugged of course.

Also might try if you haven't already is hit the emergency cutoff and see if that might reset something.

Neil ADS

Sorry for my ignorance but what are control cards? I will hit the two emergency stop buttons then restart to see if that does anything.
Thanks

dypinc

Should be a door or panel where the controls are that will have a main board with daughter boards attached. Sometimes they may work lose or get poor contacts and just need reseated. Also check tightness on all wiring connection and reseat the wiring plugs as well. If that doesn't that care of it you will probably need to contact a service tech.

agonyofcain

We have this same machine, but have not come across this issue before. Curious to hear about the end result.

Blaster

Adam B.
Did you ever resolve this? I have an Image 600 that the top roller heats up immediately regardless of switch position. I haven't gotten into it yet but saw this and thought I would ask. Could be the relay I suppose or the temp controller.

phototec

Did you ever resolve this? I have an Image 600 that the top roller heats up immediately regardless of switch position. I haven't gotten into it yet but saw this and thought I would ask. Could be the relay I suppose or the temp controller.
Did you ever figure out what was causing your top roller to heat up immediately regardless of switch position? Thanks

netsol

Did you ever figure out what was causing your top roller to heat up immediately regardless of switch position? Thanks
SOMETHING controls the heating, either a TRIAC or a conventional power transistor, or a relay & a control circuit
whatever it is is probably shorted

we have an OLD seal 400 but it is old enough i doubt my having a look will give us a similar circuit