• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Wondering how many have done..............................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
something silly in his/her career ?? Could be from 50 years ago or present day experiences.

:doh:

I have a whole slew of them, but one I remember was hand painting a double sided sign on this guy's property. I coated out over the old stuff and was relettering with the copy he gave me. Now, bear in mind, this guy was off-the-boat from Italy, but spoke fairly good English, just a very heavy thick accent. He had a tailor shop and out front on a busy street was this 8' wide by 12' high double sided sign. I was down near the bottom lettering some words, when I suddenly heard a hissing sound. Psst, psst........ so I looked around and at the curb was a guy in a car trying to get my attention. I asked him, what ?? He said, you misspelled "SPECIAL" I had specaial. I looked at it and calmly turned my head back and said, don't tell anyone, but this guy with his lousy English, wanted it this way. He said, anyone coming in and telling me about the mistake will get an extra 15% off their whole bill. I repeated...... don't tell anyone. He winked at me and drove away after his wife got in. I quickly changed it, so if the guy came back asking for the discount, there wouldn't be any misspelled words.

:big laugh:

BillyBoy86

nothing specific really stands out, but i've done plenty of stupid things....misspellings, breaking light bulbs,..... I do remember one, we had to meet a quick turnaround on a contract job for a company i used to work for.
The boss was up in the bucket putting some vinyl graphics on a pylon....when he peeled the tape, there was a small vertical line in the graphic...black vinyl and he ruined it, so i cut him a piece of electrical tape to fill the spot so we could send the photo to the company we were working for. thought that was pretty amusing

Marlene

Been doing this for 30 plus years so I have a few. The worst was a typo on a bridge sign that said the weight was strictly enforced. I spelled it "strickly". Made the sign with a 4B so no spell check and it looked good to me. That wasn't the worst part. The local paper, seen all over the state, decided to print a half page, full colored photo of it, ugh.

bannertime

I had a new guy with me doing some window perf at a shopping center. We went pretty late that night for some reason. Whole place was empty. So we lay the graphics out in front of the store. No wind and no people, so we should be good. Well, half way through a 5'x5' panel this homeless guy starts walking up to us. Willy notices and tells him to walk around. Welp, dude decides to hopscotch over the graphics. Now Willy had recently finished a 10 year jail sentence. I was scared for that guy's life. Willy starts a confrontation and I was tempted to join too. I really didn't want to go back to the office to reprint anything that night. I look at the graphics and there isn't even a scratch. Guy kept walking away anyway. Needless to say, we do not lay graphics out where anyone can get to them. No matter the time or place.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I had a new guy with me doing some window perf at a shopping center. We went pretty late that night for some reason. Whole place was empty. So we lay the graphics out in front of the store. No wind and no people, so we should be good. Well, half way through a 5'x5' panel this homeless guy starts walking up to us. Willy notices and tells him to walk around. Welp, dude decides to hopscotch over the graphics. Now Willy had recently finished a 10 year jail sentence. I was scared for that guy's life. Willy starts a confrontation and I was tempted to join too. I really didn't want to go back to the office to reprint anything that night. I look at the graphics and there isn't even a scratch. Guy kept walking away anyway. Needless to say, we do not lay graphics out where anyone can get to them. No matter the time or place.

I shut down access to one entrance to a dealership's service bay while I hung a swinging sign.. had the entire entrance blocked off but some bitch in Mercedes SUV drove past my cone and popped up on the curb to get around me... driving OVER MY SIGN I had on the sidewalk. I told her what she did when she got out and she ignored me a giggled and drove away. I thought to myself you dumb bitch.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.

Attachments

• Skin.JPG
    Skin.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 317

bannertime

I shut down access to one entrance to a dealership's service bay while I hung a swinging sign.. had the entire entrance blocked off but some ***** in Mercedes SUV drove past my cone and popped up on the curb to get around me... driving OVER MY SIGN I had on the sidewalk. I told her what she did when she got out and she ignored me a giggled and drove away. I thought to myself you dumb *****.

Oh god, that physically hurt to read. I can only imagine the dealership taking her side...

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
This lady rejected the original design because "The S's look too much like snakes". This is the update.

:covereyes:

I feel like the standard shape of highway arrows closely resembles a schlong. I swear after adjusting an arrow in Flexi it stops looking like an arrow and all I see it being is a shvantz.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Oh god, that physically hurt to read. I can only imagine the dealership taking her side...

I didn't tell them, I drove back to my shop, remade the sign and drove back out to install... all while constantly repeating "bitch bitch bitch bitch" over and over again.

rjssigns

Extra "I" in the word chief and an extra "L" in the town name on the fire chiefs new truck. Firefighters all got a good laugh.

mfatty500

Not sign related, but while I was working for a Concrete Contractor, he said I got a driveway to tear out, so I go to the house proceed to tear out the driveway, the boss shows up with an Oh shit, what the F look on his face. I said what's the matter? I only meant these couple of sections of the driveway o the whole damn thing. In my defense, he didn't have anything marked so tore it all out. Needless to say, he started to mark what was to be tore out from then on. At least it was the right house.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I worked part time at a radio station operating the sound board during a live talk show. I would drink coffee while doing so... you do know what eventually happens when you drink coffee out of those unstable short styrofoam cups right? Luckily I didn't fry anything... I don't work there anymore.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We had a client order 1500 2x3 decals for their trucks and trailers, me not thinking to ask we made 1500 2ft x 3ft decals. They wanted 2"×3" to place by their dot numbers.