• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Wondering why................................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
........... so many people completely hide their profile information ??

If someone wants to know how to help you.... and you don't give all the information in your OP, then next thing to do is look at your profile. However, with so many of them being "error" this person does not wish to share anything with you... it makes it somewhat uneasy to help. For those just hiding it, to be a jerk, get over yourself. For those who have been stalked or harmed, it's understandable.

Anyway, just thought I'd ask, as it seems more and more people are doing it. Seems like they don't wanna be helped.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Shameless "Bump"​

Don't know why, but again, why are so many people afraid to put anything in a profile ?? Since I made this thread, I'll bet I've come across 4 or 5 more people afraid to do this.

Jay Grooms

Printing, Printing, Printing......
Some people are paranoid of a lot of $hit..... Maybe they want to hide behind their online persona, or they think you will sabotage their business. People are weird.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Careful, or I'll get ya in a game of billiards..................... Hahaaaa..................

Seriously though, so many people ask questions about this, that or whatever and leave out like, what kinda printer it is.... or 1 or 2 sided, or what equipment they have in their arsenal, their capabilities and all kindsa other things that one would presume would be in their profile, but when you try to find out..... it says something like "error" this person does not want to deal with you. It will be across the board for all I know. How can you help or try to help someone who wants to keep everything about themselves a secret. Like you said, most of us are open books and have nothing to hide, so, if someone comes here, asks questions and cannot form a question properly and you still try to help...... you get slapped in the face trying, anyway.

I'm not pointing fingers or calling anyone out, just wanting to know why they do such things ?? Seems rather odd.

Jay Grooms

Well if any of you stalkers are wondering;

I'm 42
Tall as hell
Live in a grey house
Have one kid
Have 3 Roland printers
Have 1 Wife
Drive a Chrysler 300c
One Dog, Two Cats

Anything else you need to know Gino?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Anyway, don't need anything personal. Don't really need anything. I just think it's odd when someone comes here, asks questions, can't form a question and when you go to their profile of their business makeup, it says "No Trespassing". Other than like mentioned, being lazy..... how do you answer someone who is like this ?? To me, it's not worth trying to answer. I just wanted to know if any others ever used profiles to better understand someone ??

Jay Grooms

I totally get what you're saying. How can we answer questions without all the info. I haven't looked at too many profiles, but I get what you mean. An old employer of mine was VERY secretive about all things so I can assume he'd be like that too. Surprised the guy didn't live with a tin-foil hat on.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Years ago, many sign people were secretive of what they had behind the curtain(s). They wouldn't let anyone else know where they got duraply, or canvas or their offset paper. You couldn't talk about shop after hours, so as not to blurt out any company secrets. Yeah, right, like do you use tape to paint your letters or are you totally off the brush ?? Do you use penetrol or turps for your paint ?? Did Harry evr hear of Floetrol ?? How many coats of top coat does Barry use ?? Guard your customer list with your life. A lotta these things are still going on today, but here at s101, where everyone says ya gotta start somewhere, why be so secretive about your state, equipment or software ?? How does that hamper your foes from really knowing who you are. We can all find out anything we want on the internet, today..... if we're savvy enough, or we can just come here incognito and try to fool everyone as to who we really are. Its a silly game some play, but I guess some haven't really practiced what they preach, yet.

I totally get covering up customer's names or phone numbers, as in the past people got burned with such information, but it takes a really low down bottom-feeder to use those tricks.

equippaint

Years ago, many sign people were secretive of what they had behind the curtain(s). They wouldn't let anyone else know where they got duraply, or canvas or their offset paper. You couldn't talk about shop after hours, so as not to blurt out any company secrets. Yeah, right, like do you use tape to paint your letters or are you totally off the brush ?? Do you use penetrol or turps for your paint ?? Did Harry evr hear of Floetrol ?? How many coats of top coat does Barry use ?? Guard your customer list with your life. A lotta these things are still going on today, but here at s101, where everyone says ya gotta start somewhere, why be so secretive about your state, equipment or software ?? How does that hamper your foes from really knowing who you are. We can all find out anything we want on the internet, today..... if we're savvy enough, or we can just come here incognito and try to fool everyone as to who we really are. Its a silly game some play, but I guess some haven't really practiced what they preach, yet.

I totally get covering up customer's names or phone numbers, as in the past people got burned with such information, but it takes a really low down bottom-feeder to use those tricks.
Like the people that blur out their license plate in a classified ad like it's their social security number or something. . Its even better when they list it on facebook using their profile and leave their phone number but blur the plate. I think some people are born with a head full of marbles.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I don't think I have much in my profile, but I did it so long ago, I don't remember. I should go look. I think I only put basics, but I tend to not ask many questions. Instead I give input on others' posts. When I come across something I need help with I search and there's usually already a thread about it in the forums.

I don't own the business I work at, so I don't supply that information because I don't think it's relevant to being able to answer a question I might have.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't think I have much in my profile, but I did it so long ago, I don't remember. I should go look. I think I only put basics, but I tend to not ask many questions. Instead I give input on others' posts. When I come across something I need help with I search and there's usually already a thread about it in the forums.

I don't own the business I work at, so I don't supply that information because I don't think it's relevant to being able to answer a question I might have.

People like yourselves can form sentences and questions without problems.

Here is what I'm talking about.​

Member comes on and asks in the General Chit Chat or Signmaking category : How do I know if my printer is putting down the right amount of ink on my prints ?? I'm not sure what heat to use or what the vinyl is I'm using. In a real jam, please hurry or i will disintegrate.

First, not in the right category, next, no idea what printer they have or what inks. Then, no clue as to what vinyl. And they need the answer right away. So, naturally, you go to their profile and see what printer they are using and what they do a lot of. This insight might help you to answer. So, people start asking is this interior, exterior ?? What inks are you using ?? What kinda printer you using ?? Is this cast or calendared ?? Air egress or non ?? Has it been cleaned lately ?? Has whatever..... you name it and the person comes back on 19 hours later, in a huff.

Now ya find out, its gonna be a heat transfer, but he's using the wrong media for what he wants to do. You ask about profiles and that's a foreign word.

There have been so many of these in the last 6 months to a year, it ain't even funny. Then, they all cop an attitude when you ask for more information. Why......... just give me the answer and make it quick as I'm running outta time. I ain't making much on this project and I hafta do it as cheaply as possible, so my boss won't get mad at me for not knowing how to run this machine. I'm only working here 2 years and 8 months.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Then, they all cop an attitude when you ask for more information. Why......... just give me the answer and make it quick as I'm running outta time. I ain't making much on this project and I hafta do it as cheaply as possible, so my boss won't get mad at me for not knowing how to run this machine. I'm only working here 2 years and 8 months.

That's where I walk away. I don't have time for bullshit. But I'm getting cranky in my old age.:D:D