• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wood Branding

cpot25

I was with a customer today that is interested in getting their logo branded on wood. The logo would be pretty large 7' wide x 5-6' tall. I've scoured the internet looking for a company that can do this but I don't think they're out there. Wouldn't be a problem if I needed a 2x2 piece of wood branded, but something this large is pretty out of the ordinary.

Anyone have any experience with something like this?

2B

do they make laser tables/machines that large?

what about getting the wood CNC routed and then staining the area to give it the burnt look?

Ditchmiester

I know they make laser CO2 tables in the 5x10 size so it might be possible. You are going to pay an arm and a leg to have someone do it for you though.

cpot25

How would that be done? We threw around the idea of using our CNC router to route out the image on the wood and then painting it black, but it would probably look too fabricated and not "natural". Typically wood branding has a "smear" or shadowing around it and we wouldn't be able to get that with the router.

Billct2

I have a friend who has a small machine shop set up, he did this by routing a piece of metal and attaching a handle to it. He didn't cut all the way thru, just deep enough so it burned the wood without touching the back of the plate.

Ditchmiester

I have a friend who has a small machine shop set up, he did this by routing a piece of metal and attaching a handle to it. He didn't cut all the way thru, just deep enough so it burned the wood without touching the back of the plate.

What kind of Metal did he use to make the brand?

2B

the "smear" factor would be done with the staining.

or CNC the logo then come back with a torch and flame/burn the areas

Billct2

He used aluminum, but said steel would last longer. It's for wood boxes that hold saluting cannons, so he wanted a vintage way to put the logo on the box.

cpot25

the "smear" factor would be done with the staining.

or CNC the logo then come back with a torch and flame/burn the areas

I think this is the right way. Route it out using the CNC and then come back and torch the routed area.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
A metal stencil that size will cost a ton.

Sandblast it 1/4" deep and then use the torch.

JB

rossmosh

Just to do a quick calculation to do this on a laser. Your looking at engraving from 1 edge to the other (~80") every 1.25 seconds. You're going to need to make 300 strokes per inch. That's 19,800 strokes at 1.25 seconds = 24750 seconds or 412.5 minutes or 6.875 hours. Assuming $120/hr, you're looking at $825+ to do that via laser.

In the end, I expect you to digital print it or sandblast/cnc it and create a "burnt" effect.