• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wood lightbox – ever seen this before?

shoresigns

Saw this recently and was wondering if anyone's ever seen anything like it? The blue panel is 1/4" plywood wrapped in blue vinyl, with a combination of raised and recessed acrylic logo/lettering.

We occasionally sub out signs like this, but the background panel is always painted aluminum. Why would someone use plywood for this? It doesn't seem like it would last very long.

wood-lightbox-1.jpg wood-lightbox-2.jpg

letterman7

Either didn't know any better or didn't have the machinery that would rout aluminum. Interesting though.. if the ply were sealed correctly they might get quite a few years out of it. At least until the fire marshal inspects and finds all the electronics inside a wood box...

Sandman

That construction would not even be legal in Michigan. All electric signs have to be UL approved and I doubt very much that a sign shop would go through the extensive UL approval process and then make a light box out of plywood.

Billct2

I made one out of wood to display a piece of stained glass...inside. Don't know why anyone would build an exterior box like that. It looks like it was actually well done, so weird.