• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wood look substrate

polk3806

I am making some signs for a bank to put in their lobby. They will be going in frames on top of the poles that hold the ropes. Currently, the signs are on a substrate that looks like wood on one side, and is white on the other. It seems to be some kind of plastic. I need to try to find this substrate so the signs I make match the others already in the lobby. Does anyone have any idea where to find it? I really don't even know what it's called. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I've included a picture of it.

Attachments

• bank sign.jpg
    bank sign.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 118

jiarby

probably "laser mark" rowmark plastic, engravers and trophy folks use this to make signs.
See attached pictures.

Attachments

• 2-28-2010 10-54-35 AM.jpg
    2-28-2010 10-54-35 AM.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 2-28-2010 10-54-20 AM.jpg
    2-28-2010 10-54-20 AM.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 2-28-2010 10-58-01 AM.jpg
    2-28-2010 10-58-01 AM.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 88

nodrenim

Check with someone who does engraved plastic signs, they should be able to help you. I am familiar with what you are talking about, but it's name eludes me also. The material is made in contrasting color layers and when engraved, the top layer is removed to reveal the second layer's color.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Ease down to your local Home Depot, Lowes, or whatever and pick up some High pressure laminate flooring. Pergo, Taylor, etc. It comes in a bewildering variety of woods and colors. The stuff is maybe 1/4-5/16 thick, comes in ~8x36 strips and has a precision tongue and groove that will permit stripes to be joined and glued without any detectable seam. I use it anytime I have something like this to do.

auto accents sc

formica is a brand name of counter top laminate, there are others as well. It is usually available in some woodgrain patterns. Also available at Lowes or Home Depot

jiarby

with all that itty bitty text at the bottom I'll bet those were silkscreened. Lotsa work for one piece!

polk3806

They are engraved. I will be using vinyl though. I won't be making the small lettering on the bottom, we are redesigning them.

Thanks so much for the input. I knew you would be able to help me!:U Rock::thankyou:

jiarby

why not just engrave again? lemme know if you need some of that stuff. I have 4-5 quarter sheets (12x24) in inventory.