• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wood rot

GP

Hey there everyone -

We had a call from a customer allerting us that one of our signs fell down. I went by to check and the wood frame is rotten, causing one of the 2" stainless eyebolt to strip out.

The sign construction is as follows:

25" h x 48" sign panel, two .5" MDO panels sandwiched together
Essentially a 2x4 treated frame, glued screwed and caulked
Primed and painted - 2, but likely three coats. Ben Moore Super Spec Exterior latex
Vinyl clad with an HDU figure.

Caulk is still good. Rot occurred at eyebolt (it was glued in with silicon) and one lower corner of the frame.

I took it back to the shop today, thinking I could bang off the frame and and re-trim and paint. Sucks, since had I built this yesterday - I would have likely built it the exact same way. But whatever, make them happy. I get it back, whack off the frame and there are termites.

I installed it 5 years ago.

Given the work put into it, I would have expected it to last a lot longer - but what are your thoughts?

If I replace it - short of making the reveal on the frame narrower to catch less water, I would make it the same way.

Attachments

• signs101.jpg
    signs101.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 178

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's an odd place to have termite problems. Be sure it's termites, so you can alert the customer to possible other areas of infestation. They generally eat wood and other plantlike things, but I've heard they can eat through plastics and even some metals. Generally underground insects, they do come above to nest, so it's possible. I'd either re-frame it and hope they don't come back or look further on your installation to see if there are traces anywhere else of them. They usually work from the inside out, so it might be hard to visibly see any problems. You might have to poke here and there.

I don't think you can be blamed at all for this problem, regardless of how long the sign has been up.

Billct2

5 years...I know I'd want to make it right, but really it isn't your fault.
If it was a $500k house and the same thing happened I bet the builder wouldn't even think twice about being responsible for termite damage, or even for rot in a frame.
Not as long as everything was built to code/industry standards.

d fleming

You simply aren't responsible for termite damage. Even if you applied chemical when installed to the soil it wouldn't last past 30-60 days any more. Back in the late 70's early 80's the chemicals had more serious half-life applications. . PT lumber is a little more resistant but a metal end cap is about the only way to physically stop them. Even then you have to keep an eye out to be sure they don't build tubes over it to the lumber. Still not your responsibility. Dang shame, that's a nice looking sign. Make them a good deal and fix it up but make sure you let them know you are not the termite whisperer.

phototec

I'll chime in and like the others have said, Termite infestation or damage is NOT you fault.

As soon as you opened it up and saw the little critters take photos (proof), and even if you didn't, Termites leave distinctive damage in wood, you can see channels that look much different than water damage.

Also as mentioned, they are most likely in something else near the signs location, so the property owner needs to have an exterminator treat the area, or else any new sign will fall victim to it also in the near feature.

Just explain to the property owner that you found Termite damage, and that has nothing to do with the quality of the sign you built, you used treated wood for protection from the weather, and because he has Termites repair or replacement of the sign will have to be paid for, no warranty for Termite damage (like storm damage).

Because you can use most of it, give him a break on the repair, but you need to be compensated for your materials ands labor. :thumb:

We too got a call to repair a sign we did about 5 years ago 4' x 10' and we couldn't understand why it hasn't lasted and when we got there and started to pull it off the big and I mean big black ants had nest and tunnels all through it so like it was mentioned in an earlier post we took photo's and sent them to the client to show it was not in our control, client was good and a new sign out of alu panel had to be install, hope the little critters break a tooth on it

signguypgh

We too got a call to repair a sign we did about 5 years ago 4' x 10' and we couldn't understand why it hasn't lasted and when we got there and started to pull it off the big and I mean big black ants had nest and tunnels all through it so like it was mentioned in an earlier post we took photo's and sent them to the client to show it was not in our control, client was good and a new sign out of alu panel had to be install, hope the little critters break a tooth on it

Yea anything not touching the ground is usually carpenter ants. Had a bunch of them in my house here in pa. We fixed up an abandoned house and one of the interior doors (interior!) was destroyed by carpenter ants. Same thing with some redwood fascia and soffit. Termites come up through the ground.

Bottom line not your fault, did everything you could. Not your job to go out and inspect that all your jobs arn't being eating by bugs every year. They bought it.

Reminds me of a funny story my dad told about a customer that got his vehicle painted with letters (before vinyl/wrap). Guy complained a few years after it was lettered that everything was wearing off. My dad said "there's this magic product that can protect a vehicles finish". "what's that?" asked the curious customer. Classic dad reply..... "car wax".