• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wood signage recommendations?

Pideas

I'm new to printing on wood. We currently print on 3M IJ35C film, laminate and then mount to 5-ply MDO wood. These signs are mainly exterior job site type signage. We run this on our HP latex printer.

I'm just wondering if this 3M material is the right material for this purpose. Since I'm new to this, is there anything i'm missing?

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
For those signs, yes- it's the correct material. There are less expensive alternatives, but don't abandon 3M for them until you've tested them fully to make sure they're truly comparable.

flyplainsdrifta

on a side related note, i just saw a new lightweight plywood designed for wide format printing. one of my distros brought it in from a seminar he went to the other day. looked pretty interesting. i think it was from 3a composites. not positive

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully your MDO boards have a top coat of paint and not just the prime from the factory.

Pideas

Hopefully your MDO boards have a top coat of paint and not just the prime from the factory.
Im using the primed one sided wood. I do not paint it.

Why does it need a top coat of paint? Is it going to be an issue down the road?

JimmyG

I know that primed MDO has a very flat finish to it; I sure think vinyl adhesive will not bond well to it, and will not last for long...I would definitely top coat with gloss enamel.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When you're using wood products, you should paint both sides, regardless if the sign will be 1 or 2 sided........ especially plywood. It should be primed or bought already primed and then at least one top coat each side. ALL vinyl needs a glossy nonporous surface to adhere properly. Without the top coat, it will most likely let go and start peeling. Painting both sides is to prevent warping.

Dan360

We've used the one side painted MDO for several projects with IJ35. One was outdoor with several large pieces that go up in the winter, worked great. No issues and customer loved it. They put a sealer around the edges, not sure what but they say it helps.

Just if you're mounting with a laminator, double check it because MDO, in my experience, is not TRUELY flat, so you may have some air pockets.

Pideas

My sign operator prefers to mount using the squeegee. It's worked out well for us. We had some MDO pieces that are slightly curved but for the most part they are flat.
My wood supplier also offers the RTG (ready to go) painted or primed woods. They run a little more but I may give those a try if I know the sign is going outdoors for a longer length of time.

rjssigns

Used to use plywood decades ago because you could by fiberglass bonded panels. Those were warrantied 10 years off the truck.
I use ACM panels now. By the time you get done painting both sides of the plywood, all the handling, mess and clean up it isn't worth it.

TimToad

We use IJ35c as our daily material and its perfectly fine for this type of sign. For any MDO signs you are considering "permanent" I'd also HIGHLY recommend the coating of both sides with a high quality, oil based, gloss enamel to minimize warping.

We DO NOT rely on the factory applied enamel finish as we've found it to be weak at times and inconsistently applied, especially on the edges.

Sidney

I'm new to printing on wood. We currently print on 3M IJ35C film, laminate and then mount to 5-ply MDO wood. These signs are mainly exterior job site type signage. We run this on our HP latex printer.

I'm just wondering if this 3M material is the right material for this purpose. Since I'm new to this, is there anything i'm missing?

Gino is correct..hopefully the MDO is painted. If not, paint it with a high gloss paint...because the vinyl will adhere really well. :)

Tempest

It's also very important to properly seal the edges of plywood. Some use epoxies, we use a quality grade caulking, then prime and paint that ...one coat on the edge for each coat on the face, makes for a well sealed board. Even with that, its important to recommend to your customers to yearly check and seal any cracks if necessary.

Tempest

Omega board is also a decent alternative...not great on the coast for long term but perhaps in more temperate climes....caulk the board ...THEN use caulk on the edging to attach.

Ken

k.a.s.

Have not used MDO for about 5 years. Ditch the wood and use 6mm Max Metal, less time, less mess, longer lasting signs.

Kevin

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
I prefer 40C for longer term outdoor signage, just a comfort thing for me though, 35C for indoor all day tho.