• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

work table recommendation

MHester

I'm curious what everyone else is using for their main work table. I presently have the Rhino work table that has a cutting mat on it. With 5 years of use now, there are so many cut marks on it, plus when I do wet mounting the solution gets trapped in the cuts and has warped the mat. It's to the point now that I can't see the grid that's underneath the mat any more. See attached pics. What is everyone else using for their table? I've seen another shop use a piece of glass on top, another that uses a wood top. Mine is a 5X10' table that gets used a lot. Any recommendations, besides just purchasing another rhino mat to replace the old one?

Attachments

• IMG_3985.JPG
    IMG_3985.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 237
  • IMG_3986.JPG
    IMG_3986.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 224

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i have a 4x8 table with a cut mat on it. the grid is printed direct onto my cut mat, but ive had the kind you have before. honestly, five years is a good run for a cut mat. they're not gonna last forever. it's one of those items that's included in the 15% miscellaneous charge you should be tacking onto your estimates.

wes70

We have always covered our production tables with HDPE. Holds up very well to heavy cutting. Cutting mats for our smaller tables that we use for light work.

Evan Gillette

We use a setup similar to yours (5x10) but rarely cut on that matt, if we are planning to make cuts we slide an old matt under the area we are cutting. Occasionally its not worth the hastle and we just cut on the main matt. Doing this will at least double the life of the matt, ours current one is 3 1/2 years and looks new (except for a slipped drill bit hole).

You could look into other "self healing" matts used for application tables like the rolls roller. There are several threads of recommendations if you search.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have several tables:
  • 42" x 360" duron top with about 5 coats of clear, by now maybe 50 coats
  • 42" x 264" duron top with about 5 coats of clear, also by now maybe 50 coats
  • 50" x 120" rolling table with particle board top with a piece of styrene on the top
  • 36" x 120" rolling table with nice smooth plywood top
  • 48" x 108" with 3/4" plywood top
  • 48" x 240" with 3/4" plywood top
  • Not to mention, any number of tables we can put together in a matter of minutes if we need more
Some of these tables are over 35 years old and still have their original tops. When they get full of cuts, we sand it and just give it a few more clear coats. Feels and works just like new.

MHester

We have always covered our production tables with HDPE. Holds up very well to heavy cutting. Cutting mats for our smaller tables that we use for light work.
Hmmm, thats interesting. Doesn't it get cut up too much? Whats the thickness of the sheet? Also, is it opaque or translucent? I have a paper grid underneath my mat that needs to show through. I'm intrigued. Can you snap a photo? Thanks.

MHester

We have several tables:
  • 42" x 360" duron top with about 5 coats of clear, by now maybe 50 coats
  • 42" x 264" duron top with about 5 coats of clear, also by now maybe 50 coats
  • 50" x 120" rolling table with particle board top with a piece of styrene on the top
  • 36" x 120" rolling table with nice smooth plywood top
  • 48" x 108" with 3/4" plywood top
  • 48" x 240" with 3/4" plywood top
  • Not to mention, any number of tables we can put together in a matter of minutes if we need more
Some of these tables are over 35 years old and still have their original tops. When they get full of cuts, we sand it and just give it a few more clear coats. Feels and works just like new.
Interesting.... Y'all got it covered it sounds like. I only have the 1 table, wouldn't have time to have the clearcoat dry out. I like your ideas though. Thanks!

MHester

We use a setup similar to yours (5x10) but rarely cut on that matt, if we are planning to make cuts we slide an old matt under the area we are cutting. Occasionally its not worth the hastle and we just cut on the main matt. Doing this will at least double the life of the matt, ours current one is 3 1/2 years and looks new (except for a slipped drill bit hole).

You could look into other "self healing" matts used for application tables like the rolls roller. There are several threads of recommendations if you search.
Speedpress is the distributor that sells the Rhino mat replacements. They sell for under $200 for the 5X10' mats, so I'll probably go in that direction. Since we really only have 1 working table, everything gets cut on it. I guess having it last for 5 years is pretty good, and at only $200 to replace the mat, it's a pretty good deal. We make cuts that are 64" long most times, so we have to have a large cutting mat. Thanks for your input :)

wes70

Hmmm, thats interesting. Doesn't it get cut up too much? Whats the thickness of the sheet? Also, is it opaque or translucent? I have a paper grid underneath my mat that needs to show through. I'm intrigued. Can you snap a photo? Thanks.

It takes a lot of abuse and cuts. Mine is 1/4" thick. You can get it in 1/8" also. Some call it rink board as that's one of it's uses. Not sure if it comes translucent...I have white. Your local plastic supplier would have it.

Evan Gillette

Another useful tip: if you have or can find an old printer getting scrapped out (ask your equipment dealers) take media holder off and mount it to a side or end of your table. We have a holder off an old mutoh 64" mounted to one end of our 5x10 table and its sooo nice for processing/finishing. We even use it with our banner welder for hemming banners over about 8' long

StephenOrange

Eater of cake. Maker of .
I use a replaceable top, usually acroglass / perspex about 3-5mm thick. Whatever is available at our local media supplier that's been scuffed and being sold cheap as shold-soiled. I then replace this top once, maybe 2 twice a year. Cut's easy, doesn't really dull blades, handles wet stuff fine too.