• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Working the iPad Pro into my workflow...

GypsyGraphics

i've never been too keen on drawing with a stylus, just never felt right with the delay and funky tips. while i'm digg'n the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil... there's a bit of a learning curve with the popular illustration apps, Adobe Sketch, Adobe Draw, Procreate and such.

i just downloaded an app called Duet, to make my iPad work as a second monitor. it works great, but what i just realized is... i can work directly in illustrator with the apple pencil. it's probably not the best way to utilize the illustrating capability of the iPad Pro and Pencil, but having used AI and mouse to illustrate for the past 20 years, at least it's familiar.

anyway... the Duet App is well worth $15.

Jwalk

I have a wacom tablet, I enjoy using that for photoshop/ digital drawing. I just bought a Samsung tablet and then realized all the stylus are for Apple I hate apple.

WildWestDesigns

i've never been too keen on drawing with a stylus, just never felt right with the delay and funky tips.

I've got 4 Wacom Cintiqs (12WX, 21UX, 27QHD, and Cintiq Companion) and they are the most natural way to create digitally for me. I prefer to work digitally as much as I can and since all of my stock designs start of as sketches, those Cintiqs make it really easy to have a completely digital workflow.

Either I'm used to the funky feeling or it's not there (either one is equally possible with me).

There is no delay on this machines. May have to occasionally recalibrate, but it's quick, easy and not really that often. Now, if you other experience is with the Intuos (or other type of similar line), I don't know of a delay with the Intuos, but to me, there is a disconnect of drawing on the tablet, but looking at a separate machine for the picture, that isn't there with the Cintiqs.

Plus, if you use programs that take advantage of pressure sensitive within the program itself (Ps, Ai, Painter, even some options in Inkscape), that's a bonus.

Now for my iPad, I use the Creative Stylus 2 (also Wacom) and that gives you pressure sensitive for supported programs via bluetooth. If you don't use bluetooth, then it's a regular "dummy" stylus. Biggest thing is that the programmers of a particular program have to incorporate that bluetooth support into their programs. Not up to Wacom as to what programs have that support. I wish iDraw had support for it, if they ever do, it'll probably be with a version that will require me to repurchase it, but it's one of the few programs (of that nature) that I really like, so I just might if it happens.

GypsyGraphics

Now, if you other experience is with the Intuos (or other type of similar line), I don't know of a delay with the Intuos, but to me, there is a disconnect of drawing on the tablet, but looking at a separate machine for the picture, that isn't there with the Cintiqs.
with what i wrote, and being surprised i could draw directly in illustrator, you'd think i never used a tablet before. i actually bought my first tablet in 1998 (ish), a 12x12 Wacom. i worked directly in PSD with it, so i don't know why i was surprised all these years later, that i could work directly in AI. the truth is... i never took to it then either. it was, just as you said, the disconnect between drawing on the tablet and looking in a different direction, at a different machine for the image.

i should also clarify, my only experience with the typical rubber tipped stylus was in drawing app games for fun, quick and rudimentary. the only stylus i could say i didn’t hate, was the Bamboo. but it still never felt like i could actually draw with it.

posting about the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil was just to say… until now, i never really brought prior tablets into my workflow. i was disappointed when i still couldn’t make that happen once i was able to draw on the same surface i was looking at. and by disappointed i don’t just mean in the feel and function of any given stylus, i mean in myself, because i knew others were able to so. it really has taken the combination of looking and feeling like drawing with pencil for it to connect my brain, eyes and hand.

now i just have to learn how to use these new apps. it would probably be better for me to NOT to use AI, but to invest a little time learning how to use some of the apps i mentioned, that i can tell are amazing.

posting this makes me wonder if i still have my very first 1998 Wacom drawing. (a quick and rudimentary jelly fish)