• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Working with ChemMetal?

Quad State

Hi Everyone,

Im contemplating working with ChemMetal and have come to realize that I just don't know how to work with this stuff. Ideally, I'd like to use it for faces on routed foam or some other substrate/dimensional types of work, but I'm not sure if there is a method for applying it to returns or even what a safe adhesive to use would be.

What are some of your experiences on what works and what doesnt when using ChemMetal?

Thanks,

SignosaurusRex

I've been working with Chemetal for 30+ years. If I'm gluing it up in full 4' x 8' sheets, I use standard contact cement applied with a short-nap roller. 3M High-Strength 90 is also an adhesive I've used with great results. Regardless of which type of Chemetal you choose, both adhesives work very well. If you choose to use the bare aluminum back material, I'd suggest giving the backside a bit of "tooth" by roughing it up with a course grit sandpaper. Although Chemetal is not rated for exterior use, I have never had any issues. As for edges of dimensional elements, I never cover the edges with Chemetal. I opt to paint the edges a similar color/tone if there is a lot of thickness otherwise we usually paint the edges Black or alternate desired color.

Johnny Best

I have use ChemMetal stainless steel and brass sheets by using 3M stamark laminating adhesive ([HASHTAG]#9502[/HASHTAG] 60" roll) to adhere it on 6" 3mm pvc strips. By heating up the strips I was able to follow the curves on a display designed by a designer in a lobby interior.
I do not see a problem with doing edges on letters except for the fact of it being expensive and I would do what SignRex suggested by painting them.

Quad State

Thank you both for your input. When put on a cnc are you mounting the Chemmetal to the substrate first for one cut, or cutting two different substrates separately and then glueing?

SignosaurusRex

Adhere the Chemetal to substrate first unless you intend to have a reveal of the substrate showing on the face of letters/parts.