Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow, Check out this estimate

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by jman, Mar 13, 2019.

1. jman

jman Member

Mar 26, 2015
    North East
    Hey everybody! I just had to share this low ball estimate from another local shop I got a call about today.

Customer was super nice and said "So I got another estimate and it's half of what you quoted me. I wanted to make sure there wasn't a mistake on your end" I told him to forward me the estimate and I'll compare it to mine to see if I was in fact wrong because it happens sometimes.

I'll let you guys see it for yourself. I'm literally sick feeling after seeing this. I just cannot understand this at all. Just under $7.00 PSF it comes out to and this is a 2 color cut vinyl on 6mm ACM...

I called my customer back and told him to take it and run with it as fast as he can. Apparently they aren't interested in hanging the signs but I told him I would help him out and do that for him once he gets them because these are about 30' up in the air on a V nose steel frame off a pole.

Attached Files:

Tags:
    • OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 4
  2. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Member

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    That's pretty low... I mean, you can STILL make $$ on it if you had the time and it wasn't a PITA layout... But yea, kinda on the low end.

I just looked up and my price is $695 for ONE. $100 off for two.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  3. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    They just had a sale on MaxMetal at Grimco and probably using calendered vinyl. The old "hacks up the street" people as Jillbeans use to call them. Get use to it, won't be the last time, knock off $10 just to have them lower their prices even more.
    And the first rule you learn in the Army, don't volunteer.

4. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Member

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    The second is...dont decline your first job offer...Lol

5. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    Wow, I couldn't even find 6mm 5x10 for a minute. At first I was thinking that I could do them for less at like $550 a sheet if I really needed to. Then I realized it was $715 for both and not each, before the discount! :banghead: Yikes. Looks like they are selling the panel at 20% and material at about 5.5 sqft. Are they making some money? Yeah. Are they making profit? No way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JTBoh

JTBoh I sell signage and signage accessories.

Jun 15, 2011
    Clermont, FL
    I'd make sure and ask the customer to measure the thickness when he gets them.

• Like Like x 2
  7. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    Is it for both? It says qty 1 on line item and qty 2 in description.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. BALLPARK

BALLPARK Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Radford, VA
    If it was for one unit it would not have been to hard to see their final price. It hurts having to compete with offers like that for sure. But those type of companies do not last long. I hope they quickly see that they are going to limit their chances for success in a large way having pricing points like that going forward. They may have needed money in a bad way and was worried about not getting it. Either way... their future does not look good and you may have to deal with estimates like that for a bit, sorry.

We would have been around $750 for each unit. So, that would have been an odd convo for us to have with the client for sure.

But I would have tried to switch them to full color prints to help make it easier in terms of production. We charge more if we have to use a solid color vinyl that has to be weeded, transfer taped, and then applied.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I have one of these in production for 3 5x10's making one 5x30. Fab and install at 3,284.00. Funny thing is I can see the location from my front door.
    I have a good friend who used to work for me that I stay in touch with. His boss actually started a price match policy. He called one day saying he had a comparable bid that was half his. I says to him, tell your customer you will match the price, then just call the competitor up and place the order.
    Sure, you don't make money, but you can keep the customer... unless it's a new customer, but then maybe you will be the first call.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  10. henryz

henryz Member

Nov 6, 2012
    Long Beach, CA
    I would tell the customer. GOOD LUCK!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Wow...I did the same as some others...I thought "That's not bad"....til I realized it was for both.
    I'm not so sure I'd be anxious to help the client out by installing them though. I guess if you get you usual rate it's worth it.
    But it's also kinda cutting you own throat. One of the reasons we get work is because we install 99% of what we make.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. eahicks

eahicks Very Active Member

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    HOLY COW. We just did a 5'x20' (2 5'x10' in 3mm) and that was $2030 before installation.

13. jsmoritz2000

jsmoritz2000 Very Active Member

That's just stupid. We'd be at about double that price for sure, give or take depending on how much detail is involved, etc. We also do a 10% second sign discount, but that's only on the second sign, not both signs. And let me guess, I'll bet they're not charging a design fee on that sign either.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ColorCrest

ColorCrest Member

Dec 11, 2017
    So Cal
    Obviously an error in estimating. That'l cost 'em.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Good point ColorCrest, maybe it is an error, its a weird way of showing a price for two signs

16. LarryB

LarryB Member

Dec 3, 2006
    Webster, Texas
    Why would you install it for them if you did not make the signs? I would never do that.

Also I have never found 6mm ACM in 5' x 10' sheets. Only thing close is 10mm alumalite.

• Like Like x 1
  17. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    I would have the client verify the total at the bottom is for 2 signs, the way it's worded on the estimate is fishy, I wouldn't put it past them to claim the client read the estimate wrong and the price was per sign, with a discount applied if 2 were ordered.

• Like Like x 2
  18. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    It's free money. Just make sure to note that you can't warranty anything about the job. Also, Nglantz brand has 5x10 ACM 6mm. It was the only one I could find.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  19. Sign Works

Sign Works Very Active Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Just experienced the same situation, customers sign was delivered with 3mm ACM & calendered vinyl.

• OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  20. asd

asd Member

Aug 13, 2007
    colorado
    got say, that is low, that will be my price for 1 3mm 4'x8'

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1