• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap copying?

ucmj22

I just got an email stating this

Please give me a quote to do a full wrap, including top of cab, rear window perf. All painted surfaces and break down of design, material, labor, prep, like the attached file,

the wrap in the picture he sent is actually better than most, my question is, is that design is copy protected? I'm not in to copying other peoples work anyway, I just want to know if I can tell him I would be facing legal issues if I coppied it.

My biggest concern is, this guy is getting all up in my steeze already with this pricing breakdown jazz, and why is he changing wrappers anyway? did he fire his previous wrapper, or did he get fired?

SignManiac

I just come right out and ask if they own the artwork and explain that I do not knowingly plagiarize another companies work, unless given written permission.

TXFB.INS

I just come right out and ask if they own the artwork and explain that I do not knowingly plagiarize another companies work, unless given written permission.

+2

along the same lines, had a tire kicker come in and want the Dallas Cowboys "STAR" produced. Sure no problem as soon as we have a signed release form from them saying we can reproduce the "STAR" and they proceeded to go off on how they are trying to support local business instead of online but WE were being too difficult to deal with.........

Mosh

Tell him you need the actually art files from the original artist and see what happens....sounds like a PITA customer and I would triple your price.

Scott Reynolds

Please give me a quote to do a full wrap, including top of cab, rear window perf. All painted surfaces and break down of design, material, labor, prep, like the attached file,

I wouldn't give a full break down to anybody, that's your business. Do you asked for a full break down and cost from a burger joint before buying a burger? Nope. Maybe Im just reading into the words "break down" the wrong way.

heyskull

I have found people wanting a break down on prices are either a competitor or a time waster.
Give them a much increased price and walk away.
You now will have a much increased chance of getting the job.

SC

CP Signs

Heyskull is right. Same senario happened to me. It was a competitor. Only time I was asked for a break down. The funny thing is, he brought a paper with the art work and was clearly using a vehicle outline. Not too many customers have access to those. I sat down at my computer, went to the website of who I thought they were and BAM. In the " our staff " section was the face of the guy standing in front of me. So I told him I would look into it and send " Joe " ( the owner ) my break down. His face turned white as a ghost, struggling for words and said,,,,, just doing what I was told! Told him to get the *&%# out.

ucmj22

Thanks for the input. I dont think hes a competitor because I googled the name in his gmail address, and the business popped up.
Im glad no one here breaks down prices. I just wanted to make sure on that. My guess is that he feels like he got worked over on his first wrap so now hes shopping around. I'll take the biz, but I wont copy the artwork.

ucmj22

Yeah the breakdown seems like a waste of time....only time I've broken down quotes like that is to price design and production/install separately.

It really wouldnt be that big of a PITA for me because the way my pricing software works, on the purchase contract, it shows the individual units of material, labor, design, prep and so forth, but does not show the price for each only the total cost. So I would just have to enter in the amounts manually; however, it has been my experience that when I do this, they start to beat you up on the individual prices, especially the ones where they feel like you are making the most over cost (labor). People like this generally dont see the value of the wrap itself, they are buying the commodity. So I dont plan on breaking this down.

threeputt

I wouldn't give a full break down to anybody, that's your business.

Attaway Scott! I'm right there with you.

Four weeks ago I had quoted lettering on four sides of four cargo trailers for a national firm. They also wanted pricing on doing the roofs.

Trailers were of misc. size so it took a bit of figuring. After their office received my quote they emailed back and asked for a complete breakdown. Everything broken out, even installation per each trailer, travel time, etc!

I wrote them back saying I wouldn't be able to furnish that info on that basis. I told them it's definetly not "industry standard" to do that.

Long story short, we got the job (all four trailers) and finished it up last week.