• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap over existing vinyl?

adamfilip

I am printing a wrap for a 50' 5th wheel gooseneck trailer, I am getting an installer to install the 180v3 that im printing on my versacamm.

the trailer currently has a vinyl wrap on it.. its in very good shape overall... some edges around windows and a few seams are curling

I was planning on just cutting any vinyl that was peeling up and then give it a good scrub and apply the new vinyl overtop of the existing..

anyone have any issues with this?

"Deposit Please"

i would cut away any old vinyl that is curling. Also i would cut away about 3 inches or better on the edges of the existing vinyl. That would give your new vinyl a good foundation for it to stick directly to the trailer. Edges are usually for first thing to fail, especially overlapping new on old, and of course, make sure the surface is super clean where your new vinyl edge will lay.

Mosh

DO NOT GUARNADAMNTEE IT FOR EVEN ONE WEEK. I don't see a problem, but just cover yourself.

azcolor

You may want to also be sure no ghosting will appear on the new wrap from dark images bleeding through.

CL Graphics

just remember any imperfections in the old wrap will show through the new wrap. If the old wrap is 3m 180 I would probably remove it first. If its anything else let the next guy deal with it.

Craig Sjoquist

Why are so lazy and not remove or is it customer will not pay

I run across crap like this all the time installers trying to be cheap and get it done fast ..Stuff like GLUE and old vinyl left on egad that's not professional or real a service, we are advertising professionals ok customer does not want to pay well this is really a good chance to prove yourself and your quality to the customer, it really does not take that long to remove and clean up.
..How do you feel about this... are you just a sign maker or Advertising Craftsman.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Your job will only be as good as the weakest point in the old vinyl's ability to stay on..... and that's over 50' twice. Lot of faith in the old material I guess.

If it starts lifting anywhere for any reason.... you're dead meat and will give every shop in your area a bad name.

Like Craig said.... why ?? If they're too cheap, then turn it away and let some hack do it. Don;t become a hack because of laziness or cheap customers.

adamfilip

valid points. and im tempted to removing the existing wrap. unfortunately this wrap was pushed on me. and its not something I can just not do. I asked the installer and they are fine with wrapping overtop.

I run the internal Graphics department of Marketing Company. basically a sign and Digital paper print shop. our volume is very high. our deadlines are usually only a matter of a few hours from approval. we get work because we can turn it around fast.

I wish I had more time.
and to be honest I dont feel like a craftsman... I find our sign quality is low because we have little time to get it done.. no color matching (for most jobs) just pleasing color.. mount and go. 75% of the time we dont even do a test print. luckily the clients have not complained in the past.

In terms of this wrap I have spent considerable time to get the profiles and colour correct and im happy with the result so far.

Salmoneye

I have a similar situation right now with a 40' trailer. I has rivets installed over the vinyl and then they built interior walls so there is no access to remove the rivets now. There are places where the vinyl has shrunk and cracked but it all seems to be stuck down real well and we are talking about going over the existing. The customer wants to take the risk as it would be too expensive to remove and doesn't look good now. It is just a 42" x 40' solid on each side.

CentralSigns

Isn't that like putting tile floor over tile floor. One day it'll break up. I'd spend the time and do it right the first time. There is no pride in workmanship when you just cover things up.

Pro Image

I sure hope you KEEP your customer.......Or have to do what you should have done to start with without being SUED.......

JMO.......

adamfilip

We did end up removing 2" around all edges on the trailer
there are already 3 layers of vinyl on this thing

B-RAD Graphics

get a contract signed and outlined NO WARRANTY!! CUSTOMER denied to have job done the RIGHT WAY!! U know the minute it fails they will be at ur doorstep!!!

WrapperX

This disgusts me...I hate people who take short cuts and don't want to do the job right. If you aren't a sign shop then why are you doing sign work? Of course the installer doesn't care - he's not the one responsible when the job fails - AND IT WILL FAIL. He just does what he's told to do. I understand if the customer doesn't want to pay for it, but did you make them aware of the risks that go along with doing the job this way? If so then fine - do the job, get your money and be done with it. But it turns my stomach everytime I hear about this. I take too much pride in my work and final product to just do a quickee job and be done with it.

Excuse me, I'm gonna go throw up now...

:iamwithstupid

grafixemporium

You guys are being way over-dramatic. He already said there's 3 layers of vinyl on there. The other 3 didn't fail... did they? Stop knocking the poster for being "lazy" or whatever. You don't know the situation. We sure as hell wouldn't remove all that vinyl without charging for it. If the customer is ok throwing some vinyl on top of the existing vinyl, fine. Do what you can to cut away any loose stuff and stick it. We would absolutely have the customer sign our warranty form that states based on the existing condition of the trailer, all warranties/guarantees are void.

grafixemporium

What does that have to do with anything? Are you implying you have such high moral standards and work ethic -- not to mention free time -- that you'd strip that box trailer out of the kindness of your heart? All I'm saying is there's no sense in beating up the poster. In this business, we can only do what the customer is willing to pay for. For a reader to be "digusted" by the situation is a little extreme in my opinion.

Yes, I've seen 3 layers deep on a box truck before. And I've been in the same situation where the client didn't want to pay us to remove it. I wouldn't guarantee the install otherwise, so the cheap ass customer used my warehouse (free of charge out of the kindness of my heart) for 3 days and removed every bit of that vinyl himself.

Techman

What does that have to do with anything? Are you implying you have such high moral standards and work ethic -- not to mention free time -- that you'd strip that box trailer out of the kindness of your heart?

It has nothing to do with morals or work ethic...

I am not implying anything.. except..
straight up..

They bring the substrate in a condition that is good for the job. Otherwise,.,
If they don't want to pay to get a good job then pass on it.

They bring a used yellowed plastic sheet? Pass on it.

They bring a sheet of plywood and want paint,, Pass on it..

They bring a layered up hair ball. Pass on it.