• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap premasked install ?

Sideline

Any one out there ever install a premasked, no lamination horizontal 3M ControlTac no lamination ? Got graphics from another shop out of state to install on van ....

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
We have done a bunch, usually local contractors for national companies supplying the graphics thru their contracted graphics supplier. We have a disclaimer that we are not responsible for damages to the vinyl during installation. PIA to instal in my opinion.

Zac

Mediocre Designer
Definitely a pain, my boss takes these jobs all the time. We've had luck tearing the premask off in strips prior to installation of hardcore curves but YMMV.

Starter

The same issue was happening with our shop. No need for premask. We called the company supplying he prints and told them if the prints show up with premask or we smell ink when we open the box, the prints will be returned. We never had an issue since.

Brands Imaging

They do this bc the premask is cheaper than 8518/19/20.
The companies that are supplying these prints are powerhouses and even though the little guy may see close to comparable costs between the laminates and the 3M premask it really adds up when you're talking hundreds of vehicles per month.

jfiscus

Rap Master
It probably has spray laminate on the prints. We get a lot of stuff shipped in like that, not as much as we used to, but still a decent amount.

mgieske

Be sure to raise your pricing when pre masked films show up. When the install cost is properly adjusted, the net cost of premasked wraps reflects zero savings and less durability. Luckily we see less of this than years ago.

TheSnowman

We had to do a Best Buy Geek Squad van once that got wrecked and a local body shop was fixing it. They sent all that pre-masked and it was the biggest pain in the butt ever to wrap it. Luckily it didn't have a ton of curves on the van, but you can't tell what it's looking like as you lay it down and work on it at that spot that needs work when it's covered like that. Ours had a laminate on it too, so I have no clue why they premasked it.

Sideline

Thanks

Thanks for the responses.....we are lucky that its a Chev van and only the drivers side....yes on the extra charge.....the sales rep of the producer of the graphics wasn't to helpful.....oh, well !!!! A lesson learned on what to do when we receive such a product and also learned to ask before excepting job !!!!

Sideline

Job Done

Well we did it...never never will we do another one that is premasked....it was 3m controltac r/a...but you can't see how it is turning out while your appling and you can't lift it up with out it tearing and the air release part does not perform like a normal wrap with laminate...this crap had a liquid lam on it and was very hard to work with.....hopefully the "acne" look will disappear with the sun......