• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapcut rough edges many, many attempts

joelswork

Hey all,
I'm trying to switch to wrapcut along with the other 9 installers here but I can't get a smooth edge with it. This is especially irritating when used on a printed film as the white edge looks particularly jagged. I'm pulling it tight as I lay it, squeegeeing it down, squeegeeing the vinyl down over it and have even tried post heating the two together. Anyone able to shoot a quick tutorial on a nice clean cut with wrapcut (the demo videos don't really show a close up of the edges.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 241

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I would love to see a quick tutorial on this stuff! I have used it a few times, sometimes with great luck, other times with no luck, and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. :banghead:

TDFcustomSL

I am out on the tutorial BUT, the few times I have used it it has worked well for me....IF I remember to leave myself enough extra tape that I can get the string wrapped around my finger a few times to give it that quick initial yank to get it to start the cut. After that I have found that pulling it as quickly as possible helps with a clean edge.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I was given a free roll of it a long time ago. Still have have the roll because once I tried Knifeless tape....I happily paid more for it.
I'll let you make your own conclusion...but saving a little money on a tool that is causing all of you to get frustrated doesn't make sense.

rjssigns

Wasn't WrapCut originally designed for the bed liner industry? If so that would explain the OP's issues.

TDFcustomSL

Wasn't WrapCut originally designed for the bed liner industry? If so that would explain the OP's issues.

Yes, and no...WrapCut is slightly different than the original WireTrim. WireTrim is a pretty innovative product for the bedliner industry. WrapCut was a great idea but it just doesn't work near as good as the WireTrim tape that has a metal cutting wire in it. I haven't used any of the other types of knifeless tapes but one issue I have ran into with WrapCut is the dental floss type filament in it seems weak at times. I have had it break before it cut through the vinyl.

rjssigns

Yes, an no...WrapCut is alightly different than the original WireTrim. WireTrim is a pretty innovative product for the bedliner industry. WrapCut was a great idea but it just doesn't work near as good as the WireTrim tape that has a metal cutting wire in it. I haven't used any of the other types of knifeless tapes but one issue I have ran into with WrapCut is the dental floss type filament in it seems weak at times. I have had it break before it cut through the vinyl.

Thank you for the explanation.

mnapuran

We were the first in the country (USA) to get a roll of the tape from the manufacturer before it was released as a product. Helped us finish a job that would have been almost impossible without it. Only had the rough issue a few times (use it often) and it's typically due to the pressure and angle of the pull and making sure the material is down good around the tape.

I believe one of the pictures we took is still on their site to this day :cool: Job we used it for initially...

Attachments

• sub.jpg
    sub.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 188

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I got the free roll of Wrapcut when it first came out as well and it wasn't in the same ballpark as Knifeless. Maybe they change something and it's better now, but Knifeless has so many different options now.

For those of you don't know, 3M now owns Knifeless.

Kwiksigns

wookie
I was given a free roll of it a long time ago. Still have have the roll because once I tried Knifeless tape....I happily paid more for it.
I'll let you make your own conclusion...but saving a little money on a tool that is causing all of you to get frustrated doesn't make sense.

Hah. I still have my free roll. The guy was giving them out on here when he first came out with it. (I think...)

joelswork

Best way I've found to use it, so far, is to apply it as instructed...then use it as a guide for your knife to actually make the cut :(

joelswork

The concept is a good one, but the fillament doesn't make a clean cut...it's too sticky and the micro notches seem to match the cord winding....

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I got the free roll of Wrapcut when it first came out as well and it wasn't in the same ballpark as Knifeless. Maybe they change something and it's better now, but Knifeless has so many different options now.

For those of you don't know, 3M now owns Knifeless.

Guess who still owns the domain knifelesstape.com ...I'll give you a hint. It's me.
Wonder if 3M will be interested since Knifeless tech systems wasn't.

joelswork

Guess who still owns the domain knifelesstape.com ...I'll give you a hint. It's me.
Wonder if 3M will be interested since Knifeless tech systems wasn't.
Let me walk you though making some extra money off that website. Sign up as an Amazon affiliate, then just use the custom link from Amazon on your site as an automatic redirect. This makes yo 4-10% on everyone who goes to the site and then buys it off amazon. I'm sure you are getting a few visits. I make a few bucks off my motorcycle videos through Amazon and eBay with their affiliate programs. Hope this offsets the cost of 3m not buying it until they wise up ;)

mnapuran

Used WrapCut again earlier this week :cool:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3019.jpg
    IMG_3019.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 203
  • F150_Matte.jpg
    F150_Matte.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 358

Speedsterbeast

I also did not care for the Wrapcut. The filament itself is not straight if you look close it zigs and zags all the way through the roll.
Also harder to start than the knifeless