• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping 24' Box Truck with Rivets

lakesh0w12345

Has vertical rivets every 3 feet ~

So whats the recommended substrate to print on for something like this? I charged around $4k and don't want to overpay for vinyl if i'm okay with using a removable calendared vinyl. I also want to do the job right and willing to pay for what's needed for a good outcome. If any experienced installers for box trucks can recommend a vinyl / lamination combo for what has worked good for them long term I will greatly appreciate your advice thanks!

Last edited:

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
3M 1080 is all I'd use to do this job unless you can remove the rivets, which frankly, will take a lot longer than just going over them.

Dr. Decal

Never use a calendared vinyl over rivets. Brand is totally up to preference, but definitely make sure you use a cast vinyl and cast laminate.

papabud

Lone Wolf
looks like his first wrap job.
basically guessed at a number and now trying to fit the job into that budget
if its just 2 sides of a 24" box truck 4k is about right unless you outsource everything.
i would still use my 3m controltac 180-10 and 3m lam.

lakesh0w12345

Like the others have said, cast with matching laminate.

How does one go about quoting a job, getting it and not know what they are gonna pay for materials, let alone know how to do it ??

Let alone how to do it? I do know what I am doing and priced it based off the 3M material. But now I am asking if there are more budget friendly materials since it's a box truck as opposed to wrap. Looks like the consensus is using Cast 3M so I will end up doing so. But yes this is my first time quoting out a job and doing it all solo, but I think my quote was in the ball park of being correct.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
When I used to work at my old boss we always used 3m IJ40. the old stuff that was SUPER agressive. Never had a problem. No customers ever came back!
Yeah the rivets don't lay as flat and if you have a rivet that sticks out a lot then you are in trouble. You can easily get away with 40c if the rivet is pretty flat.
I don't use 40c. I use avery 1105 ( cast). $300-400 cheaper than ij180

$4000 for a 27' truck is a really good deal. We have people in south florida who would bid down this to the dirt.... I couldn't even charge 4k for a truck like this. They would just go somewhere else

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Avery will save you a buck or to and it is easier to install than any other brand. It is also thinner and more conformable then any of the other brands.

3M is hit or miss on how aggressive the adhesive is even with latex printers.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Let alone how to do it? I do know what I am doing and priced it based off the 3M material. But now I am asking if there are more budget friendly materials since it's a box truck as opposed to wrap. Looks like the consensus is using Cast 3M so I will end up doing so. But yes this is my first time quoting out a job and doing it all solo, but I think my quote was in the ball park of being correct.

Sorry, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, but based on your OP and your profile, it sounded like you don't know what you're doing. Good luck.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Like the others have said, cast with matching laminate.

How does one go about quoting a job, getting it and not know what they are gonna pay for materials, let alone know how to do it ??
I was thinking the same thing. I don't think I've ever quoted or accepted a job without knowing how I was going to accomplish it.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Avery will save you a buck or to and it is easier to install than any other brand. It is also thinner and more conformable then any of the other brands......

I agree except that it is not any thinner. MPI1105 is 2mil just like 3M 180 or Oracal cast. Each brand also has the thinner laminates as well as the traditional 2 mil laminates. We do use the 2 mil 1060 (we only use the thinner 13/1460 is we are wrapping something very curvy) for most things as it has a longer rated life and is easier to install with the added thickness.

The Avery will definitely save some money and somewhat easier to install but the one catch is that it is not quite as easy to remove later on as the 3M is. Still not bad to remove though...

Active Sign

Sign Guy
Cast wrap and cast lam. Allow time to off-gas.

All brands work great if you install correctly. There are different recommended techniques for/from each brand. Post heat your rivets!

If you need to save money go with Arlon or Avery. 3M is overkill for this project. Even Montroy's Moncor house brand wrap kit is good. I've tried them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikePro

anything less than cast wrap vinyl with cast overlaminate will fail. even if you managed to make something like IJ40 "work", every rivot will tent-up within a few weeks/months of install. Calendared vinyls tend to shrink-back over time, and this is accelerated by stretching it over rivots, thuse causing tenting.

3M IJ180 or Arlon DPF6000XRP is all I use, and recommend. Apply tented over the rivots, squeegee center-out & between rivot lines, leaving tents over the rivots as you go, then come back and work the tents inward towards the rivots to finish with heat&poke.