• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping a Ford F350 Dually

pjfmeister

Does anybody have any tips or tricks to offer when wrapping a Dually truck with the large Fender Flares? Any advice on installation, production etc much appreciated. Recommended materials to help maximize installation success.

Just haven't done one of these yet so hoping to maybe avoid any pitfalls in advance...

thanks as always!

Dennis422

I was told to do those fenders in two pieces.
When I took Justin Pate class we had discussion on those and cars like PT Cruiser and HHR.
One piece for the side of the truck and a piece for fender.
If commercial wrap, do not go crazy with a design so you do not need to match the pieces.

Never did one, just saying what I heard. Maybe there is abetter solution.

JoeBoomer

Dually's

You can definitely do the fenders as one piece. I would recommend doing it as 1 piece so you don't need to fight with lining up tiles on a crazy curve like that. I've done 50-100 wraps on Ford & Chevy dually's. I've tiled them before, but it makes it ugly and ends up being a lot more work.

1.) Make sure you aren't using cheap wrap material. 3M IJ480 is prob. the easiest, but I always use 3M 180cV3 w/ 8518(19,20) lam.

2.) I would print the entire fender as one piece (see attached photo for tiling layout). I would print that panel @ 52"h or larger (need a lot of material for the curve)

3.) My installers would use two guys when possible (they would do it solo when needed, but easier with 2). One guy to heat and squeegee, the other guy simply to pull material flat.

4.) Text and logos would be done as spot logos on top of the wrap.

Let me know if you have any questions or need anything else.

Go Team!

Attachments

• Screenshot_47.png
    Screenshot_47.png
    809.7 KB · Views: 360

JoeBoomer

Install technique help

You'll want to do a lot of this with your hands (cotton gloves) as opposed to a squeegee. For example, push/set your vinyl on the top of the curve with your finger so that you can work on the curve independently of the top flatter portion.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Not sure about the pricing but check on 3m 380 instead of 480.
the 380 and 480 both has the same stretchability (150%) and no vinyl memory ( it won't pull back as bad as the 180) the big difference is that the 480 is more eco friendly vinyl. It might be more expensive compared to the 380 but 380 works just as good.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Big piece like that, 3 people is best. 2 holding each end, liner removed, and one heating the entire sheet with a torch/gun. Then lay that b&*^ch on there.

pjfmeister

Some great comments and advice....love the colorful commentary ...."then just lay that b$#* on there".....perfect - sometimes you just gotta go for it!