• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping a globe (sphere)

basicmetal

Sometimes, as designers, we are faced with challenges caused by a salesman opening his mouth. This is just such a case & I'm lost. Would anyone happen to know where I could look to find a map that has been laid out flat so we could then print & wrap a globe? I'm thinking it would have to be segmented along the longitude lines, but have only found ones divided into 4 segments.
Any help at all on this would be greatly appreciated.

Pat Whatley

I think there should be an ASSHOLE button for anybody that posts that Google thing....especially when they don't answer the question with it.

Do a search for "Globe Gores" and I think you'll see examples of what you're looking for. Finding one for sale may be a whole different ball game. Better yet, make the salesman who sold the job do the digging to find one.

basicmetal

Thanks a bunch Pat, that's exactly what I was thinking of. I never knew those segments were called "gores". That was so much better than having some smart ass do it for me on google.

Map Resources

Bob from Map Resources here... Actually, the link above to our site goes to a map that will not work for you. You need a world map created in a Sinusoidal projection - this has from 6 to 24 tapered sections ("gores") which can be printed and then curved to fit on a spherical surface. We have some available - but they are not currently available online. Please call me at 800-334-2491 (609-397-1611) or email rdahl - at - mapresources.com and let me know what you need. We probably have a map that will meet your needs.

round man

Have you considered painting the globe light blue and just puting the land masses on as contour cuts,...seems that would be the simplest way,..,.,

Map Resources

Sometimes, as designers, we are faced with challenges caused by a salesman opening his mouth. This is just such a case & I'm lost. Would anyone happen to know where I could look to find a map that has been laid out flat so we could then print & wrap a globe? I'm thinking it would have to be segmented along the longitude lines, but have only found ones divided into 4 segments.
Any help at all on this would be greatly appreciated.

You need a "sinusoidal" map projection - which has long pointed segments which can be wrapped onto a sphere. See: http://bit.ly/94LfAy

We have sinusoidal maps in Adobe Illustrator format, which you can open in Illustrator and modify to your design specs (fill colors, line specs, etc). Unfortunately they are not in our online database, but call 609-397-1611 and ask for Bob and we can help you get the right one to work on the size sphere you need. Bob Dahl at Map Resources.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I would assume he's not wrapping a globe with another image of a globe, but needs a "sinusoidal" template/instructions/converter to create an image to wrap over an existing globe for a customer. Am I reading this right?

However, I cannot help you with this.