• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping a Plane

deadline

I was lucky enough to get a deal with a land developer to wrap his fleet. Included in the fleet are a couple cessna airplanes.

is there anything special that needs to be done when applying wraps to an airplane? Because of the speed and the temperatures during flight I was curious as to what you guys thought

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
As long as it is an aircraft that is NOT pressurized (ie - stays under like 12000 feet) I believe any high performance vinyl is okay. For pressurized aircraft there are vinyls specifically for aircraft that will properly expand and contract with the aircrafts skin. I know 3M makes a couple of types and I believe a couple of other companies do as well.

Also want to be very meticulous on install being very aware of any openings, seams, hatches, handles, etc. Last thing you want is a possible liability issue. We have done a couple of aircraft and they were pretty specific about things. Also keep in mind - the skin of an aircraft is incredibly thin and fragile - do NOT press too hard or you will dent it. Have the pilot do a walkaround with you pointing out any and all sensors, specifically hidden or hard to see ones like pitot tubes which might just be a pinhole somewhere on the fuselage.

As far as a full wrap on a plane goes. Sounds like a blast. I'd love to tackle something like that. I know one thing, I'd definitley be looking at one of the ultra thin vinlys and laminates. Couple of reasons, reduction of weight for one, ultra conformability, and reduction of the thickness of leading exposed edges. Might even add 3/4" strips of additional bare 1mil laminate across seams just to be extra safe.

4R Graphics

The others have pretty much covered it but I will X2 what they said especially the 0 liability release, the really thin vinyl and laminate and the covering seams with extra laminate.

Good Luck sounds like a lot of fun.

Haakon

I would also send Cessna a mail to hear if they have any guidelines for wrapping their planes, do as much research as you can before committing to something like this.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

This has been discussed before. A pilot on the forum pointed out the specifics of the illegality of it. It is an alteration to the structure I think that required something similar to a deal called a "Special Type Certification". Anyway, I do recall only certified A&P mechanics can alter a structure. Better do your homework. If you do go ahead and wrap it. be sure to heed what has been said about not covering up a pinhole that is vital to the airspeed indicator and altitude sensor.

jzorn

I would check with the mechanic that maintains the airplane. I'm sure it would require a STC because it WILL alter the weight and balance of the airplane, AND it will require a signoff by the mechanic in charge (and A&I). I'm a pilot and know some of the regulations.

NSchlee

You might want to check with your current insurance company regarding liability, mine found out I was cutting boat parts with my CNC and dropped me.

Some commercial insurance carriers DO NOT insure anything marine or aircraft related.

Neal

Mosh

The plane wrecks be ready for a call from a lawer....or 20 .My dad flew planes, it is whole different ballgame. I know my 5 mil insurance policy would NEVER cover a plane crash. PASS!!!

Mosh

btw mosh. glad you are back.

Mosh-PBR-snow-shooting coyotes-back for tonight. I just popped a coyote out out my truck, in plowed field at 40 mph, not bad for my 6 year old driving the pickup....In my defense I only let Evy drive on fields so don't be fretting.