• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

wrapping over a wrap

SignaramaFL

So I am going to go ahead and assume this to be a bad idea. But we have a customer who wants to wrap over his 6-7 yr old wrap.... So please tell me why this is a bad idea..., or in the off chance that it's okay to do this.

MikePro

cast materials? u should be fine.
hopefully your client assumes that there will be some puckering where his old wrap may be failing.

CheapVehicleWrap

What was it wrapped with? 6-7 is pushing easy removal in a best case scenario. Pluses are no horrible removal. Negatives are you can't warranty due to possible failure of the underlying wrap. This old, I'd test remove an inconspicuous area and charge for removal. This duct tape has only been on my face for 2, maybe 3 weeks. Don't think I'll be removing it anytime soon.

CS-SignSupply-TT

"a MAJOR nose job"!!!

What was it wrapped with? 6-7 is pushing easy removal in a best case scenario. Pluses are no horrible removal. Negatives are you can't warranty due to possible failure of the underlying wrap. This old, I'd test remove an inconspicuous area and charge for removal. This duct tape has only been on my face for 2, maybe 3 weeks. Don't think I'll be removing it anytime soon.

Cheap Vehicle Wrap, that picture depicts quite a nose job. I hope everything turns out all right in the end:smile:

SignaramaFL

thanks for the help guys!!!!, and yes the customer has been made aware that if he goes this route instead of removing that there is no warranty.

laserman70

Personally, I wouldnt touch it.
regardless of him knowing about warranty issues, if failure happens you have a mess and he goes all over telling people you did the wrap. Meanwhile its falling off the vehicle which reflects on you and your business.
I understand money is money, you cant be with the car all the time telling people its falling off due to previous install.
just my .02

natedawg9640

i ran across an add on craigslist where some lady was charging $30 to $150 to peel off vinyl, solely because she enjoyed it and found it relaxing. you need to find someone local like that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The whole thing sounds silly.

Besides, why aren't they going back to the guy that gave them a 7 year wrap ?? That's some good work.

You're only gonna be as good as the last wraps weakest spot. Is that how you want to be remembered ??

iSign

I did it.
came here first, got beat up, bashed and looked down upon...
and then I did it anyway, made $4K, and ended up getting photos of my work in a trade mag too!

I also got 2 more box trucks that didn't require wrap-overs, as well as 3 vans..

sure, there are things that could go wrong, so you want to do your best to ensure good adhesion of the base graphic, and do your best to explain the risks to the client, and CYA on your paperwork... but there are always risks in business, and if the client wants to save that removal cost.. he knows it's a risk too.. HIS risk...