• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

?? Wrapping textured UTV doors - 2017 Polaris General - ??

ShoNuff

The Doer of Things
Had a client inquire about wrapping hinged doors for his 2017 Polaris General UTV, should he purchase them. He wants them wrapped in a gloss black film to cover the shale grey exterior color and match his other custom graphic aesthetics.

I researched size dimensions and photos to quote the materials and install and noticed the doors are textured. My question is will the textured surface pose an issue to strength of bond between surface and material, and possibly compromise the longevity of the wrap? Will this also not hold well with the ruff and tumble these machines endure in the field?

The install also looks complex due to the structure of the door and window. Does anyone have experience doing this sort of install that could give some tips? When I suggested that it might not be a right fit for wrap due to the texture, he said he could hit it with a scratch pad to smooth it out. He owns an auto body shop and paints cars but for some reason doesn't want to paint it if it doesn't have to, or he thinks it will be cheaper to wrap and fix later down the road.

Lastly, wtf should I charge him. He's a friend of my dad who has cut my arms off on work before so Im not trying to screw myself this go round. This could be why he thinks wrapping will be more cost efficient than painting. I dont know. He's a headache but I like the old guy and him and my pops go way back so.. yeah.

The doors' dimensions are 46" x 56" - The materials will go about 300 and Im thinking 100/door install?

Any input will be valuable. Tips, tricks, material suggestions, encouragement. haha.

Thanks in advance.

Machine and door photos attached
GeneralDoor_L_Profile.jpg
GeneralDoor-1.jpg

ShoNuff

The Doer of Things
I also warned him that the texture will still show through the vinyl, it will just be glossy black instead of grey but I was going to check with sages before pulling the trigger on the committing to the job.

KMC

Graphic Artist
i have done a couple of these (and hate doing them)
i stopped designing them up and get the client to order them from a company in think in vegas and just install them as they have the specific kits and i dont have to order a complete roll of the high tack vinyl as its not the cheapest then i can just charge install hours

typically you need a high tack vinyl with a thick 6mm laminate (i use this with a wet install and post heat) not done in one piece due to the vinyl not being able to conform

standard wrap vinyl will fail as soon as its driven through the bush, if hes a yuppy eeew mud kind of guy that only drives it to the mail box it will be fine and easier to install with a lot of post heat and the mallo roller (this option can be dont in one piece tucked and rolled into the body lines)

if they do a lot of mud play warn them about washing the rzr with the pressure washer too closely ...graphics may come off etc

also some of the plastics they make the doors out of these days have a product in them which continues to outgass which will make the graphics fail quicker

couple of supplier links below:

Graphic Kits - Categories - Shop Make | SuperATV
UTVFX | UTV Wraps - Custom UTV Graphics Kits

ShoNuff

The Doer of Things
i have done a couple of these (and hate doing them)
i stopped designing them up and get the client to order them from a company in think in vegas and just install them as they have the specific kits and i dont have to order a complete roll of the high tack vinyl as its not the cheapest then i can just charge install hours

typically you need a high tack vinyl with a thick 6mm laminate (i use this with a wet install and post heat) not done in one piece due to the vinyl not being able to conform

standard wrap vinyl will fail as soon as its driven through the bush, if hes a yuppy eeew mud kind of guy that only drives it to the mail box it will be fine and easier to install with a lot of post heat and the mallo roller (this option can be dont in one piece tucked and rolled into the body lines)

if they do a lot of mud play warn them about washing the rzr with the pressure washer too closely ...graphics may come off etc

also some of the plastics they make the doors out of these days have a product in them which continues to outgass which will make the graphics fail quicker

couple of supplier links below:

Graphic Kits - Categories - Shop Make | SuperATV
UTVFX | UTV Wraps - Custom UTV Graphics Kits

Thank you for the reply. He wants it paint wrapped in a strait gloss black, no design. The rest of the machine has a custom graphics kit option that came on it when he ordered it from the dealer so he wants glossy black doors to contrast. I tried to tell him there is a reason they dont come in gloss from Polaris but he's 76 and Im 35. You already know he knows I don't know shit. HA! He's definitely not a yuppie and I dont want to deal with his shit if and when the wrap fails. Considering the textured surface and the need for high tack/over lam, running this in a strait gloss black/black rose 1080 wouldn't be the proper media to quote then?

The more I read, the more I want to tell him to paint it or price myself out of the job on quote.

ShoNuff

The Doer of Things
I figured I would just grab a roll of 1080 with 14' on it and rock it out but it's looking like that wont be worth it.

KMC

Graphic Artist
I figured I would just grab a roll of 1080 with 14' on it and rock it out but it's looking like that wont be worth it.

if hes really insisting that he wants it done quote high and give him a list of factors warranty will not cover that her can sign
-extreme heat
-extreme cold
-pressure washing
-driving through trees / bush
...etc

ShoNuff

The Doer of Things
Im going to just tell him everyone I spoke to doesn't think it to be the proper course of action. He owns an autobody shop and has a master painter on staff. If he wants it gloss black bad enough, he can make it happen on his own liability and dime. Thanks for the help!

ShoNuff

The Doer of Things
If it were the smooth surface half door without the window, it wouldn't even be a post here. I would've just wrapped it up and went on my way but I've never done a textured polycarb surface and that shit did not look like a fun install around the door handle, hinges, and window frame. Then having to use a high tack with little to no repositioniability? Yeah. Im good. ha