• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping trailer with seams.

tiredcreations

This trailer has the aluminum sheets overlapping each other. Should be an easy install vs. rivets.
I'm working on the layout and was looking for some input as to how to approach this.
The big blank side is approx. 77"h x 237"w of useable area. It has 4 seams with 45" to 48" width between them.
IMG_5596.jpg

Will the wrap fail at the seams if you just go over them? Do you primer the seams and wrap over them or print vertical panels and overlap your material somewhere. I might be over thinking this, but I want it to last as long as possible.

2B

yes it will fail at the seam as the material flexes / separates.

install normally and do so between the seams. If that is not possible then come back and cut the seams so the vinyl doesn't fail

Christian @ 2CT Media

We panel ours to match the seams of the trailer so that there is no overlaps, You have to trim at each seam ridge anyway.... so this just makes for an easier and cleaner install.

formanek

Wrap normal. Cut seams after. Easy. Don't waste the time trying to do it with no overlaps otherwise you waste too much material during printing.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Wrap normal. Cut seams after. Easy. Don't waste the time trying to do it with no overlaps otherwise you waste too much material during printing.

I never get this train of thought... Why give an inferior product only to save a few dollars?
You are talking about saving 3" per panel vs a clean seamless install.

formanek

We do everything in our power to eliminate them or hide them as best as possible.

If our client wants cheap we do normal vertical seams, but if they want it right we will find a way to eliminate them as much as possible.

Yep, totally get it and understand. I get it. Misunderstood.

phototec

On trailers with overlapping panels as mentioned by the OP, I ALWAYS make my panels match the panels on the trailer, so there are only the natural seams of the aluminum panels.

And my customer's notice the difference, even saying the finished job looks as if the panels were printed before the trailer was built.

I think it looks more professional without a lot of over lapping seams, and I'm not worried about the cost of a few inches of un-printed media, I like doing the BEST job I can and make as few seams as possible whenever I can.

There are hacks in every trade who just want to make things easy so they can slap it on and collect their check, doing it right will make you stand out from the pack.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing it RIGHT!

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We do everything in our power to eliminate them or hide them as best as possible.

If our client wants cheap we do normal vertical seams, but if they want it right we will find a way to eliminate them as much as possible.

We do the same - but we generally explain it to them and give them the option if its going to use much extra material to do. If it is not going to change the material use on the roll we just do it. However on some trailers it requires an additional full vertical panel with a lot more than a "few inches" of waste. Those are the cases where we explain it to the customer and give them the option of spending a little bit more.

SIGNTIME

we normally don't worry about the overlaps because even from 5-10ft away you have to look for a few seconds to find them past 10ft you can't see them.

Kwiksigns

wookie
You would save 6-7 linear ft making the panels 52". It is faster for us not to worry about seams including measurements, templates, printing, and applying. Nobody cares about seams once we inform our customers about them. just my .02

edit- that also goes to say not wasting time coming onto the forum and asking how others would approach it

strypguy

It's nice to not have to but seaming a wrap does not make it "cheap" in my opinion. I occasionally use my SP300V to wrap small trailers etc. and have to use seams. My customers are informed of the procedure and have never complained.John

ddubia

The thing I don't understand in some of these conversations is that if you wrap something without overlapping aluminum panels you're going to have overlapping printed panels anyway and no one seems to mind. Why the big deal on a trailer?