• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping windows

klingsdesigns

Might be a stupid question. But I know you cant tint with normal tint on the inside of a double pane window. So I have a customer that is trying to block sun and heat coming in on a gym. They want all the windows wrapped with a design. I know you can do it with perf, but can you just lay 3m 40c on the exterior of the window and not have any problems? Never covered the entire windows of a whole building before. Not sure how much either of them will help with heat and sunlight.

bannertime

You sure can use 40c. There will be a noticeable drop in light and heat from the windows. I wouldn't go tell your customer that it'll last 7 years on the windows and that even though it says removable, it'll only be removable for a certain period of time and with heat assist. I'm sure others will say there is a better material option, and there is, but 40c will do the job.

AKwrapguy

Might be a stupid question. But I know you cant tint with normal tint on the inside of a double pane window. So I have a customer that is trying to block sun and heat coming in on a gym. They want all the windows wrapped with a design. I know you can do it with perf, but can you just lay 3m 40c on the exterior of the window and not have any problems? Never covered the entire windows of a whole building before. Not sure how much either of them will help with heat and sunlight.

I think that there will be a slightly noticeable reduction in heat but not as much as the guy is hoping for. They actually make films that will help with this, most of the ones I know of are made like window tint but have a reflective property.

klingsdesigns

I think that there will be a slightly noticeable reduction in heat but not as much as the guy is hoping for. They actually make films that will help with this, most of the ones I know of are made like window tint but have a reflective property.

I was thinking that.. I feel like they are going to spend all the money for this and not see the make up in central air cost.

ikarasu

They have special window film that blocks heat... We just quoted a job doing a whole warehouse in it .it's kind of a white, not quite see through vinyl. It still let's lightning but blocks all/ most uv/heat. Its also available in other translucent colors.

I can't check the brand name right now.. But it's from a European country. I'll update it tomorrow when I'm able to check.

I'd email your supplier and ask them about heat blocking film. I wouldn't just throw up white vinyl... It'll cost just as much if not more , and work half as good .

rjssigns

Ceramic infused window film is the latest thing. Friend at another shop has been doing semi windows. Said the truckers really like it. All I know is I'm going to get some and do my station wagon. IIRC the brand is Huper Optik.

shoresigns

I was thinking that.. I feel like they are going to spend all the money for this and not see the make up in central air cost.

Covering the windows with white vinyl would reduce the amount of heat from the sun to almost zero, wouldn't it? It would be more effective than perf and more effective than heat control films.

I would suggest they go to a window film company, not a sign company, if they want someone who can (I assume) do the math and figure out how much savings they can expect.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Get some 7125 or 7725 white and do a test window. Use your wrapping temperature gun to check the heat reduction.
The 7 series is cast and the glue is clear (more light pass through) vs the IJ40 that is calendered and has the grey glue to keep the material opaque (up to a point).

bannertime

Covering the windows with white vinyl would reduce the amount of heat from the sun to almost zero, wouldn't it? It would be more effective than perf and more effective than heat control films.

I would suggest they go to a window film company, not a sign company, if they want someone who can (I assume) do the math and figure out how much savings they can expect.

You'd still have heat radiating from the window itself. The temp difference is small and yes, noticeable, but I wouldn't expect to see significant energy bill savings from simply covering some windows in vinyl. What really helps is keeping direct sunlight out of the room and beating down directly on you. We've sent people to window tinters and even glaziers when the customer wanted actual results. If they just want to limit light and make it look nice, adhesive vinyl does the job.

JCinNY

Ceramic infused window film is the latest thing. Friend at another shop has been doing semi windows. Said the truckers really like it. All I know is I'm going to get some and do my station wagon. IIRC the brand is Huper Optik.

Station wagon, I didn’t know they still made them.

klingsdesigns

They want a design printed over all the windows. Not just covering it for heat.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
2008_dodge_magnum_wagon_rt_s_oem_1_500.jpg

Bigdawg

Just Me
The thing to take into account with using regular vinyl, is that when you cover the whole window you risk contraction/expansion because of the cool air inside vs the hot air outside that may cause the window to crack. We did a full coverage painted window and the darn thing cracked within a couple months. The glass guy told us it was because of the difference in temps on the inside vs outside. I would suspect the same thing would hold true with vinyl.

rjssigns

Mine's an '81 M-B. Old, but trusty closing in on 253,000 miles.;) Subaru has been selling wagons forever. Had two of them over the years. Awesome in the snow. Buick should have their new wagon in showrooms this fall.

rjssigns

That car will last forever if you take care of the motor.

Yup, OM617 which some called the Panzer motor. Only used '81 through '85. Supposed to go a million miles or more. I change oil every 3000.

Funny story: Wife and I were in Door County a couple summers ago. Came back to the wagon to find a German tour group crowded around the car. Men in the group were making motions for me to lift the hood so I did. That got some big smiles and I even heard the word Panzer.
I still laugh thinking that while in beautiful Door County my old wagon could draw a crowd.

AKwrapguy

No, covering the windows in white will not reduce the amount of heat to almost zero. It will create a shaded area but the heat will will still transfer to the room from the windows, it would be like going from being under a magnifying glass to radiant heat system. You would actually need something that can reflect the all the energy/heat.

Chasez

. But I know you cant tint with normal tint on the inside of a double pane window. .

That is %100 incorrect. You can absolutely apply window film to the interior side of a double pane (sealed) unit. We do it daily as we are an authorized 3M window film solutions retailer (in Canada). There are some MAJOR factors that will determine which films you can use but it is absolutely possible. As well you can't install car tint onto sealed units... that will most definitely cause thermal shock. **now in saying this, if the unit is tempered you can get away with it as tempered glass can handle a larger psi load. I would still be weary about installing car tint on a tempered inbound lite - my recommendation would be to stick with commercial tint. I would ask the questions about issues with thermal breakage prior to purchasing the film from your distributor prior and if they say there is no issue I would move on to another distributor as there are risks.

As far as applying the 40c on the exterior of the window, that will not cause a single issue. Make sure to clean the window properly before installing and get to it. There is no chance of thermal breakage by adding a print to the exterior (1st surface).

For the heat reduction, you will notice that it won't get as hot as quickly as the film will help absorb some of the heat, but as soon as it starts to heat up it will start to pass the heat inside. That's the same misconception with blinds... blinds do not keep a room cooler, they darken a room so to the mind it feels cooler, but the blinds absorb the initial heat but once they heat to a certain point they just start to pass the heat inside.

All in all just make sure to do your homework prior to suggesting a certain window film for heat/glare reduction.

Chaz