• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping with non air egress vinyl

kustomguy

I was hoping that someone might have some experience with doing a wrap with non air egress vinyl. Here is the scenario. I have a local body shop who wants me to install vinyl on the rear doors of a Sears van that they repaired. I went to their shop to look at the job and the vinyl that has been supplied for the job is 3M Control Tac. I believe it is 180 without without the air egress channels. The material is printed and UNLAMINATED, with 3m transfer tape. With my experience, I am not seeing how I conform this material to the curves with transfer tape that is going to prevent me from stretching it at all. Also, I am worried about scratching the ink off the surface. Seems like these companies that provide graphics at mass quantities are all about cost saving on their end, but don't consider the installer at all. Anyone with some advice on this, I would love to hear from you. Thanks!

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Yes tell them you cant do the job the right way because they have the wrong materials. Its real simple, you cant do what you need to do becuase they have the wrong stuff.

HulkSmash

no Lam? Don't heat.
180 without air release? It's not 180.
Ink won't come off...
Tell them since it's not laminated - you're not responsible if it tears.

kustomguy

The irony is that this vehicle is a partial that appears to be wrapped with this stuff. Actually there is a 3M 180 that does not have air egress channels. It is IJ180. Pretty sure that is what it is. Thanks for the replies so far. There has to be a way to do this job if it was done once already.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I can drive my car with my feet but I dont. Why do you want to take a job that is done like this, this is why the company who supplied your client with the print is still in business. That shop doesnt deserve the business if they cant supply the right materials, unlaminated 180 is a joke to instal and your asking for nothing but problems and you could educate your account and explain why they need a new source for their graphics real easily it seems. Good luck either way!

kustomguy

this.

Also, how do you know it's unlaminated if it's premasked....? Did they premask it because it's shape cut or due to the lack of laminate?

I pulled back the premask and checked for lamine with a scratch test. The body shop didn't do anything to the vinyl at all. I unpackaged it myself so it came from the supplier like that. It is not shape cut. It is a 30 inch wide by 110 " long printed rectangle. I only need to wrap the right rear door and hinge cover on a chevy express van with it.

Mosh

I NEVER install film sent from someone else. One mess up and you are on the hook.
Now if you mess up something you made youself you can just print another one, but
in this case I would pass.

kustomguy

Okay, check this out. I called the supplier. A huge printer in Indiana called Signature Graphics. www.signaturegraph.com. They acted like I didn't know what I was talking about and said that every graphic package that leaves their plant is done this way. They supply nation wide for vehicle wrap jobs as a fleet supplier to a nation wide chain of installers. She told me to just squeegy out the air bubbles. I feel like I am in the Twilight Zone with this one.

natedawg9640

I'd reccommend pulling the premask off and applying the piece with a felt squeege. catch is. apply it like you would window tint. high amount of slightly soapy water. a little soap in water, liberally applied to the point of running off all over the place , lay the vinyl on at one time and lightly squeegee the liquid out. Then go over it again after it's had time to set up and dry for a bit to break the adhesive beads.

I applied an entire side splash using a premium cast with no air egress or anyhting when i was 16 years old using this method. bubble free. (before i had ever been in the graphics business to boot)

kustomguy

Thanks for that advice. Here is another irony though, Signature Graphics told me to always apply their vinyl dry... and yes, I am possitive there are no air egress channels on this stuff. Like I said, Twilight Zone. Maybe I need to cut this job loose.

natedawg9640

well, you want a bubble free install, soap and water will do it. you may have to do it in two sittings as yes, any tight bends and things like that will have to dry before you can finish and trim. but coming back and finishing is better than ruining the pieces.

Kwiksigns

wookie
Its just a door and hinge... you really shouldn't have that much trouble. It will just fail but you can still install it.

If you try it, take off the transfer tape. Maybe you could try printing a piece of whatever vinyl you have and see how you do installing that?

Last edited:

AUTO-FX

oh my god no. dont do control tac wet. It's not that big a deal. just use a hinge method and take your time. get all the big flat surfaces first. then peel the transfer tape. use a little heat if it makes it come off easier. or soak it down and the stuff will practically fall off. then work in your edges and corners and stuff. if you dont feel comfortable, dont do it. simple.

kustomguy

oh my god no. dont do control tac wet. It's not that big a deal. just use a hinge method and take your time. get all the big flat surfaces first. then peel the transfer tape. use a little heat if it makes it come off easier. or soak it down and the stuff will practically fall off. then work in your edges and corners and stuff. if you dont feel comfortable, dont do it. simple.
This method is what I had in my mind, I was just waiting for somebody to suggest it who possibly has experience, to reinforce my gut feeling about it. I think I can do it without too much trouble, just seems so primitive a method with the technology that exsists out there doesn't it. Or is that just me.

MikePro

Do you know its nonControlTac? 180cv3 is the new CT that doesn't have the wafflepattern some may not be used to... works great! Unlaminated tho? Ido what to say there... someones skimming' on ur client

Edited: oops guess u figured this out... scrolled over ur followup post

ericmitchell29

I did a job that was going on for one week and then back off. Designed/Printed with the 180 without egress. ... Laminated.

I thought, no big deal, its a rolling billboard for one week.
Learned my lesson. .... by the way I laid it down by myself with no seams.. one giant sheet so I could have been my own worst enemy but I would definitely not go the cheap route again, It was just a bunch of time getting my bald head burned in the sun when I could have been off onto another job.

Here are some pictures of the finished job.

P.S.... The job was going to go 1 of 3 vehicles so the color match never happened. Would have loved to had it blend in better but... customer was just looking to get some extra cash for his limo's during the week when it wasn't busy.

Attachments

• limo3.jpg
    limo3.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 94
  • limo2.jpg
    limo2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 82
  • limo1.jpg
    limo1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 86

ericmitchell29

Yeah, you definitely can, I can't speak for how long it will stay down though as mine was just a short term job.

Plus... there were a few issues up close on this one, mainly that I couldn't get some of the air pockets out... nothing big, but if it was long term, it would have been an issue.

johnnysigns

Call a viable certified installer to put this on for you so you don't lose your ass on something fairly simple.

The graphic you have is liquid laminated from signature and then premasked. It's most likely marginally thicker than what 180c is straight away.

I used to sort of relish installing the non-comply controltac media as you had to be a halfway decent installer to make it come out well. If you don't have much experience I'd be wary.