• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrong cuts wasting tons of money!!

ABPGraphics

Alright, I'm so fed up with my printer right now....

So, We have this fairly large company ordering decals cause they are doing their whole fleet. They order roughly 6 sets per week and we just keep a running total and bill them every 5 weeks or so but recently we've changed the way we do things and have been using our roland SP300v to first print the decals then we pull them out, laminate them and then put them back in for the cuts.

Here is the annoying problem though. About 50 percent of the time I put laminated prints back in for a cut the cut is anywhere from .10 to .25 of an inch off and its done it on about 150$ worth of prints!! (Not including my time)

I don't get why it does this cause it does it dead on the other 50 percent of the time or if we're just printing something w/out laminate it cuts perfect. I've spent a lot of time getting it dialed in so I don't get why it's so far off. I'm using Roland Versaworks to print the targets and then I use special cut settings to turn the GF to 210 (Thick Laminate) offset 0 passes 1 speed 30 cm/second.

Sorry for bad structure/rambling but I'm very annoyed right now.

javila

Have you calibrated the print/lam/cut settings?

They are different from the print/cut settings.

cptcorn

adad
The laminator could be stretching and skewing the prints a tiny bit. That adds up over distance. Trying running less pressure when laminating.

B Snyder

When you go back into VersaWorks to cut the laminated prints are you pressing the Get Media Width button (or whatever its called) again? You shouldn't.

Ponto

When you go back into VersaWorks to cut the laminated prints are you pressing the Get Media Width button (or whatever its called) again? You shouldn't.

hmmmmm... What you have alluded to has not caused me any problems in the past and am puzzled as to why one should not call for the media scan after reloading.... can you elaborate...?

JP

B Snyder

Wish I could. I don't know why but when I'd ask VersaWorks to get the media width my cuts would be off. My cuts haven't been off at all in the past 1+ years. Why would VW need to know how wide the media is if it is going to scan for the registration marks?

Ponto

After reloading and engaging the media clamps the device will immediately measure the media when setup has been activated... I see no other recourse or am I missing something...?

JP

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The laminator could be stretching and skewing the prints a tiny bit. That adds up over distance. Trying running less pressure when laminating.

If the marks are being read properly for the contour cut pass, it shouldn't matter how the print might be distorted. As long as that distortion is linear. The purpose of the registration marks is not merely to find a starting point. The larger purpose for the marks, and why you should always use four of them, is to allow the software to map its logical region onto the actual physical region on the media.

If the error is progressive as the job proceeds away from the origin you have some sort of slippage/traction problem. If the error is constant over the entire cut, then the distance from the sensor to the cutter is not properly set.

B Snyder

After reloading and engaging the media clamps the device will immediately measure the media when setup has been activated... I see no other recourse or am I missing something...?

JP

Yes, the printer scans the media automatically but the software doesn't know what that measurement is until you click "get media width."
Maybe its some other reason but when I stopped getting the media width in VW my cuts stopped being off.

B Snyder

If the marks are being read properly for the contour cut pass, it shouldn't matter how the print might be distorted. As long as that distortion is linear. The purpose of the registration marks is not merely to find a starting point. The larger purpose for the marks, and why you should always use four of them, is to allow the software to map its logical region onto the actual physical region on the media.

If the error is progressive as the job proceeds away from the origin you have some sort of slippage/traction problem. If the error is constant over the entire cut, then the distance from the sensor to the cutter is not properly set.

If the stretching isn't linear, like if the stretching only occurs between foot 2 and foot 3 in a 4 foot print, then the cuts might be dead on where they should be but the images may be in the wrong spot.

Sticky Signs

Try slowing the cut speeds down and using all the pinch rollers. Don't forget to put lots of bleed on stuff and like Mosh said, no longer than 8' to 10'.

threeputt

APB, I don't think anyone's mentioned running "environmental match". It's in the menu setting on the machine itself.

Works like this: If it's cold or damp or hot or humid or whatever, the day you print the graphic, those conditions may be different the day you finally try cutting the laminated print.

The Environmental Match takes care of all of that for you. Use it before printing...Use it before cutting. (if done on a different day)

That's my two cents. Hope it works for you?

animenick65

Yes, the printer scans the media automatically but the software doesn't know what that measurement is until you click "get media width."
Maybe its some other reason but when I stopped getting the media width in VW my cuts stopped being off.

So long as the entire job dimensions are within the pinch rollers, then in my experience it doesn't matter if you hit "Get Media Width". The width of the media is irrelevant as the printer searches for its start point. Hence why you can unload media, load it up again in and straight position and it will find the marks. This is of course, my experience.

Skye

env match

threeputt's env. match is what we do.
there is test print/cut you can perform and manually adjust.

if after you try the env. match and your manually adjust the print/cut,
and still not working.
it is a tech job to adjust the feed or scan.

we have had the same problem.

Skye

gabagoo

I am not a Roland person but with my Mimaki and Summa set up I have found that if I laminate and then cut and there is silvering, then the optical reader has trouble reading the registration marks and I have caught it actually calibrating itself over simply a white area, hence cuts are off.

I now insist on waiting for the silvering to settle down a bit before cutting.

Mosh

As long at it reads all four mark areas it does not matter if the pinch rollers are moved, or if you hit the get width.