• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

WTF (What the Frosting)

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Any thoughts on what this material could be?

At first glance I thought it was just your standard Mactac/Avery whatever frosted vinyl, but the overlapping areas almost look white in color.

I need to provide a budget price on doing 30 doors to match this design, and of course can't do a proper site check because of Covid.

Any ideas? I'm thinking of just basing my budget pricing on 2 layers of frosted to account for unknowns...

I dunno. Been a long day and my brain hurts.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Frosted.jpg
    Frosted.jpg
    560.9 KB · Views: 215

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Could it be 3m or SOLYX film? (commented before photos made it up there)

Check that; Both sides of glass.

Last edited:

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
That might be a layer on both sides of the glass. It always looks brighter on the side you view. Either way, it is probably a double layer.

In my mind, it will be easier to install and look better with a layer on each side. You won't have to wait for it to fully adhere before you install the second layer and you won't get that air gap where they overlap. I know you don't have a choice, just hope you get lucky.

MikePro

yup. definitely a layer of dusted/frosted/etched/etc on both sides of the glass. easy enough to quote for the 2x and figure out the details/design prior to production

CanuckSigns

Its definitely installed on both sides of the glass. Its impossible to tell what kind it is from the pics, in some it looks like a standard silver etch like etchmark, in others it looks more milky like frosted crystal

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Because they won't let you on-site to compare materials you will have to quote them a range based on the different materials. 3M will cost you 3 times more than MACTac and the MACTac is easier to install. You can't eat that cost difference. If they are adamant and have to have a firm quote, base it off of 3M and a wet install.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Thanks guys. Customer is adamant that it is only installed on one side.........that's what is throwing me off.

I'll quote it high with a pending site check and see if it goes anywhere.

Johnny Best

I use Arlon cast etch. Price is better than Avery or Oracal and it cast so thinner than the calendar etch. So if applied on same side in two layers it won't have a big gap if it has to over lap. I also like the "streatch" of cast etch compared to calendar. I also apply wet with Rapid Tac. I have use MacTac bubble free once but it leaves marks where the squeegee goes.

TammieH

Appears to be on one side, Yes? It could be Frosted vinyl with a transparent silk screen print design.