• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

X6 slowing down?

Colin

I've noticed that recently in CorelDraw, response time with certain commands like copy/paste/close file has really slowed down. It pauses for a couple seconds before completing task. Any ideas as to why this might be happening?

slipperyfrog

I've noticed that recently in CorelDraw, response time with certain commands like copy/paste/close file has really slowed down. It pauses for a couple seconds before completing task. Any ideas as to why this might be happening?

I seemed to see a little of this once but figured it was from running too many programs that use a lot of memory. Did a quick reboot of the OS and it seemed to be back to normal. That is it though.

Colin

Thanks, but I can't see how that would be the issue, as I'm not doing anything different than before. (New Win7 Pro 64 bit computer with lots of jam).

Jim Doggett

Thanks, but I can't see how that would be the issue, as I'm not doing anything different than before. (New Win7 Pro 64 bit computer with lots of jam).

Just being online can add more stuff running in the background. CorelDRAW, like Photoshop, is a memory hog. Up your RAM to your computer's max capasity; then allocate a large percentage of it to CorelDRAW and you should be okie doke.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Just being online can add more stuff running in the background. CorelDRAW, like Photoshop, is a memory hog. Up your RAM to your computer's max capasity; then allocate a large percentage of it to CorelDRAW and you should be okie doke.

Exactly. But for those of us running 32 bit 4Gb is the maximum and it really isn't enough, apparently. X6 compared to X3 is a real disappointment performance-wise. It's incredibly slow compared to its elder brother. It's not abundantly clear that feature-wise it's any better either.

I'm running multiple machines with shared hard drives and grabbing a file off of a shared drive is painfully slow. You could get married, have kids, and send them off to college before it finally loads the file.

I spoke to the tech weenies at Corel and their response was, yeah, it's slow and maybe you'd want to stop running anything else and move those files to the machine running Corel before loading them. Wonderful, why have windows and shared drives?

Jim Doggett

Exactly. But for those of us running 32 bit 4Gb is the maximum and it really isn't enough, apparently. X6 compared to X3 is a real disappointment performance-wise. It's incredibly slow compared to its elder brother. It's not abundantly clear that feature-wise it's any better either.

I'm running multiple machines with shared hard drives and grabbing a file off of a shared drive is painfully slow. You could get married, have kids, and send them off to college before it finally loads the file.

I spoke to the tech weenies at Corel and their response was, yeah, it's slow and maybe you'd want to stop running anything else and move those files to the machine running Corel before loading them. Wonderful, why have windows and shared drives?

Windows 7 / 64 bit is probably what X6 thrives on. Just guessing.

Meanwhile, your X3 is (was) newer than my CorelDRAW, which does everything I need with speed, ease and great results. The draw-back is sometimes having to ask that a file be back-saved to 11.

I doubt you'd have much issue with folks having to back-save to X3. In fact, most of the files I bring into CorelDRAW are imported formats, like AI.

Just go back to X3? Or does X6 have stuff you love and need?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Just go back to X3? Or does X6 have stuff you love and need?

They seemed to have fixed the aberrant drop shadow behavior in X6. In X3 a largish, for Corel, drop shadow would often appear as the bounding rectangle of the shadow rather than the shadow itself. Once it did this, there was no getting it back.

Other than that, X3 was just fine.

Colin

Does anyone have any solutions to this? It seems to be getting a little worse.

Again, it's only on certain commands like copy/paste/close/save. Normal tool use is fine.

BobCap

Defrag

Have you defraged the drives?

I have found even in Win 7 with very large drives (2 terra) and 32Gig of memory it eventually gets the fast food restaurant slows.

This also means making sure the other machines are defragged.

Let me know if you don't know how to do this and I'll step you through.

Bob Cap
AAI

SignBurst PCs

How is your hard drive looking? Unlike the Adobe Suite, Corel is dependent on the Windows paging system after it runs out of physical RAM. If you are running low on space on the hard drive that your page files resides on (C:/ on most systems), you will see degrading performance.

Another potential problem may be hard drive IO. If you have Corel installed on C:, opening a file on C:/, and paging on C:/, you have a potential for a bottleneck situation.

I am just grasping at straws here. It may just be that the longer we use a computer, the more "stuff" we accumulate and eventually we are running a bunch of little things that really add up. That might explain the performance getting worse over time.

Windows 7 should be defraging your drive automatically (unless it is an SSD). You can check the schedule and ensure it is happening though.

Colin

Running the defrag now. (I was under the impression that good ol' defrag wasn't required on Win7).

Colin

Defrag made no difference.

C=

Used space: 148 gig

Free space: 782 gig

When I go to C:/ > Properties, I see a "Disk Cleanup" option; is that different from defrag?

Colin

Windows 7 should be defraging your drive automatically (unless it is an SSD). You can check the schedule and ensure it is happening though.

Yes, it's set to defrag at 1:00 am Wed, weekly, but I always turn off my computer at end of day, so is it actually ever running the defrag at other times?