• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

XC-540 "chatter"?

mposwald

Hello signs community! I'm having some trouble with a Roland Soljet Pro III Print&cut XC-540... A coworker described it to me as "chatter" where the black (only) extends from what should be a sharp box of black into small dots. it does this when other colors are within the black field as well, making everything fuzzy. It also only does this in the direction that the print head travels. I have run a "powerful clean", done a manual clean, and a rudimentary clean of the encoder strip.... Don't know what's going on at this point and can't take a picture at the moment because of phone issues.

JulieS

If I'm understanding correctly what you're describing, I've had this problem when I've forgotten to lower the printhead.

mposwald

I would like to see nozzle test. When changed dampers? What does a slow speed print look like?
By Nozzel test do you mean calibration test print? that print is pretty great, as is Bi-directional calibration. All of the test prints I know to run pass muster, I just have this splatter on the black. I haven't changed any parts out. The printer has been here for years, I've only been working with it for about four months. Will reprint and post pictures of test prints shortly.

mposwald

If I'm understanding correctly what you're describing, I've had this problem when I've forgotten to lower the printhead.
I'm constantly changing this for different materials and checking whether or not it's in the right position, so unfortunately this isn't the oversight that is causing me trouble

mposwald

Here are the prints I noticed the issue on, as well as the test prints I ran. I just ran a "powerful clean" on the machine before taking this. Could the buffer be the issue?

Attachments

• IMG_20181204_090100272.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 199
  • IMG_20181204_090118807.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 207
  • IMG_20181204_100005253.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 188
  • IMG_20181204_100017195.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 216

Joe House

Most likely, your black head needs to be replaced, but I'd start by replacing the cap tops and then perform a couple of powerful cleanings. If the missing nozzles stay mostly the same, then it's time for a new head. If the missing nozzles move around, then I'd look at an ink flow issue - try replacing the dampers. If the missing nozzles clear up- you're good to go.

Good Luck

mposwald

Most likely, your black head needs to be replaced, but I'd start by replacing the cap tops and then perform a couple of powerful cleanings. If the missing nozzles stay mostly the same, then it's time for a new head. If the missing nozzles move around, then I'd look at an ink flow issue - try replacing the dampers. If the missing nozzles clear up- you're good to go.

Thanks for such a concise and all-inclusive answer! I will do so and report my findings for the thread's sake (as soon as I've caught up with all these rush-jobs)

woolly

as a by the way this machine is generally out of alignment. the black head as said is probably on the way out and things mentioned to do can only be good.
the gap between the yellow head and black is incorrect and should match the rest think the black head needs re seating then rest aligned with the black. i say re seated because there is no left right adjustment. this alignment also shows in the red and black print as the white lines on the side of the letters.
unfortunately the missing jets are just in the wrong place to set the feed value by that method
as the head is deteriorating misting can happen but static should not be ruled out

mposwald

Didn't notice that spacing error! thank you, looks like I'll be into the seating anyways, so I'll make sure to pay attention to it!