• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help XC-540 Flushing ink

Hotwasted

Hi guys
I'm changing ink brands in my xc-540. I'll be using refillable cartridge's with bulk ink. I was told not to mix the ink with the ink currently in the system that it had to be flushed out. I was also told that I could do it with one cleaning cartridge. To insert the cartridge and draw the cleaner through with a syringe. Now my question where would I do that from? If i do it at the damper for each line is that enough to go through the head and the pump before the new ink runs through the system or there a better place to pull the cleaner from? is it just better to get 220ml x 4 cartridges and flush the system through the menu?

Thanks

Hotwasted

Roland ink is in it and i'm switching to ink from Hong Kong. I was told by the manufacturer not to mix the ink that mixing ink can possibly damage the heads

Hotwasted

okay I have the 4 cleaning cartages. What setting do I use to flush the ink totally out of the machine? Then what setting do I use to get the ink back into the machine? is the changing the type of ink setting in the menu the correct one to completely flush and instantly put new ink in as to not mix the inks?
Roland xxc-540

FrankW

You can use the syringe at the tubes of the cap tops. If you do it at the dampers, you will not flush the heads.

If you want to do it automatically, you should use HEAD WASH in the INK CONTROL menu.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Your safest approach is to do it automatically, as this will minimize the possibility of damaging the heads. Are you using Roland cleaning solution or the 3rd party ink cleaning solution?

If you do use the syringe approach, there are several cautions to observe. IMPORTANT - excessive negative pressure on the heads by pulling through the caps can fracture the print heads internally. For this reason, I would not recommend clearing the lines by pulling through the caps, as you are going to have to put that negative pressure on the heads for a much longer time then is good for the head.

Do the following on each line, then go to the next line. Remove the cartridges from the ink bays. Put your syringe on the DAMPER for the first line and pull until you are pulling air. Then insert the cleaning cartridge in that ink bay and pull cleaning fluid through the ink line. Remove the cleaning cartridge and pull air. Insert the cleaning cartridge again and pull cleaning fluid again. Remove the cleaning cartridge and pull with the syringe for maybe 2 seconds. This will leave some of the cleaning fluid in the ink lines. Reinstall the damper on the print head and repeat on the next ink line. The purpose of the last short pull is to leave enough cleaning fluid in the ink line to flush the print head when you do an ink fill with the new ink and to leave an air gap between the cleaning fluid and the new ink. Once you have cleaned all the lines, you can do an ink fill using the service menu ink fill step.

Again, the safest and simplest approach is to do the HEAD WASH and INK FILL steps in service mode. This virtually eliminates the possibility of fracturing the print head.

Hotwasted

Great thanks so much for your replies advice. I do have the roland cleaning cartridges 4 of them so I think I will use the head wash and ink refill. once started will it be pretty self explanatory?

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Yes, follow the prompts. Because you have 4 cartridges, you will want to do each group, i.e., A, B, C individually.

Hotwasted

when doing the ink refill will there be enough cleaner left in the lines so when I do the ink refill I won't have to prime the lines or do I have to pull the ink through with a syringe? also after I clean a group lets say I run the cleaner through then should I put the ink back in for that group or clean all groups then re do the ink?

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
DO make sure your caps are clean BEFORE starting this procedure. No need to worry about how much solution is in the ink lines after you are done. The procedure takes care of priming the lines. You want to do the head wash on all 3 groups individually before doing the ink fill. After each group is head washed, you will need to put ink cartridges in the ink slots for the group just washed. Do not do an ink fill until you have done the head wash on all 3 groups. Once the head wash is completed on all 3 groups and you have the ink cartridges installed and filled with ink, you will do the ink fill process.

Last edited: