• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions XC-540 material raises and the head hits it

BigJerm

Well, the problem is in the title. I'm running on Avery car wrap material. I make sure it's tight. I sit and babysit it. The previous got that really the XC got an external heat source. I'm wondering if it's possible that it's creating too much heat and causing the material to stretch? This is an ongoing issue. What is the point of the intake roll if you can't use it? Any and all assistance is appreciated and applied. Picture attached.
9437d5e17fd718e531910145f39a1134.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

crny1

Well, the problem is in the title. I'm running on Avery car wrap material. I make sure it's tight. I sit and babysit it. The previous got that really the XC got an external heat source. I'm wondering if it's possible that it's creating too much heat and causing the material to stretch? This is an ongoing issue. What is the point of the intake roll if you can't use it? Any and all assistance is appreciated and applied. Picture attached.
9437d5e17fd718e531910145f39a1134.jpg

How old is the avery vinyl? I use avery 1105 all the time and if I have a roll thats older it will do this. Yes the only way to use it is to babysit the machine. Sometimes I am away from printing for a month or two and when I come back this happens. I have tried different heat settings to no avail. Put in a new roll and its back to fine again. Maybe I havent found the magic combination of heat settings to make it work, I am not sure. Have a new roll laying around you can check this theory with?
And my machine is a xc540 also

Active Sign

Sign Guy
Have you tried cleaning the pinch rollers? Some may be gripping better than others.

I have a sc545ex and it has a weight thing that sits on the feed rollers to create tension. If the roll is less than half full I use it. Seems to help. Does the XC have that?

You can also run the carriage/head height on the high setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigJerm

Have you tried cleaning the pinch rollers? Some may be gripping better than others.

I have a sc545ex and it has a weight thing that sits on the feed rollers to create tension. If the roll is less than half full I use it. Seems to help. Does the XC have that?

It does have that weight bar. It runs fine without it connected to the intake roller I would try the high head setting, only bad thing is I have already printed the entire driver's side on low. Just sucks having to run one panel at a time.

BigJerm

How old is the avery vinyl? I use avery 1105 all the time and if I have a roll thats older it will do this. Yes the only way to use it is to babysit the machine. Sometimes I am away from printing for a month or two and when I come back this happens. I have tried different heat settings to no avail. Put in a new roll and its back to fine again. Maybe I havent found the magic combination of heat settings to make it work, I am not sure. Have a new roll laying around you can check this theory with?
And my machine is a xc540 also
Its a BRAND NEW car wrap kit from Avery. If I run without attaching it to the intake roll, it runs fine. Stop not to be left unattended. I don't see how your supposed to MAKE money with this machine. Smh

BigJerm

I forgot to mention I did clean them best I could. We had a tech out just yesterday who said he took care of everything and we were ready to roll. Has Avery just lost their standard of good quality products? What kind of material do you use?

crny1

There are adjustments on the take up roll. Your take up roll is not running perfectly straight with the material which makes it buckle up on one side or the other. If you look on the ends of the weight bar (dancer bar) there are adjustment screws to square it up. Are you using the media clamps on each side of the material? The regular manual has info about this dancer bar starting on page 56.
The machine is very capable of making money if its set up correctly. The only time I have trouble is when I am using older vinyl thats been sitting.
Its a BRAND NEW car wrap kit from Avery. If I run without attaching it to the intake roll, it runs fine. Stop not to be left unattended. I don't see how your supposed to MAKE money with this machine. Smh

BigJerm

There are adjustments on the take up roll. Your take up roll is not running perfectly straight with the material which makes it buckle up on one side or the other. If you look on the ends of the weight bar (dancer bar) there are adjustment screws to square it up. Are you using the media clamps on each side of the material? The regular manual has info about this dancer bar starting on page 56.
The machine is very capable of making money if its set up correctly. The only time I have trouble is when I am using older vinyl thats been sitting.
Your probably right. But when I say we just had a tech out, I mean yesterday. Machine was running smooth then (of course). I came in this morning to finish up and now this. I was using the edge clamps. Now I've your horizonal banding. I'm looking for my user guide now. Thanks for the help.

Chad

Used the printer for 12 years and could never get the take up to work without spending alot of time on it. Would just leave it loose and manually hit the switch and roll it tight. Always had to unroll almost to the floor on the back, this happened when the vinyl was coming tight off the roll. Vinyl would bunch up and you would get the head strick. The let it run unattended is a sales gimmick, always had to babysit it.

BigJerm

Used the printer for 12 years and could never get the take up to work without spending alot of time on it. Would just leave it loose and manually hit the switch and roll it tight. Always had to unroll almost to the floor on the back, this happened when the vinyl was coming tight off the roll. Vinyl would bunch up and you would get the head strick.
I'm doing this now. Well, I've mopped the floor in front of it and since it is only 72" panels, cutting them one panel at a time. That's what I meant by making money on it. This machine has been a money pit.

shoresigns

If you set the media just a few inches past the rollers and hit print, does the material start buckling as soon as the printer warms up and starts printing? If so, it's the rapid increase in temperature that's causing the media to buckle. One way to manage the problem is to keep the ambient temperature higher in your printer room (assuming you store your media in the same room).

If the media is only buckling after it prints a foot or two, that's caused by uneven tension on your media feed. Either you didn't load it straight, or there's a problem with your pinch rollers. Possible fixes include:
1. Use all the pinch rollers, not just the left/right side ones.
2. Clean or replace your pinch rollers.
3. Turn the vacuum setting to high.
4. Raise the print head to the higher setting.
5. Unroll the media until it almost hits the floor, then babysit it until it's done printing.
6. Attach your media to the takeup reel before printing. If you get it loaded as straight as possible, the tension from the takeup will help to prevent skewing, as well as hold the material down if it wants to buckle.

Oroscoe

back roll your material so there is no tension while feeding. especially do this on full or heavy rolls. And don't forget, you can always raise the print head depending on the thickness of material.

C5 Service&Repair

No doubt your material is not loaded perfectly straight in the machine, OR your take up isnt installed correctly to the machine and isnt square.
Use the media clamps or you'll be putting heads in the machine soon too.

BigJerm

The issue was resolved. Not sure what did the trick, as I took so many of the suggestions and put them to good use. Thanks to all that replied. Great to have a community of such great experienced printers that are willing to lend a helping hand! Again, than you all!

mleg1972

The XC is notorious for the 2 machine screws on each end of the take up dancer bar coming loose. This allows the dancing bar tonflex introducing ripples. Also, only use 1 piece of tape in the middle to attach to take up.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

blufftonsignguy

I had issues with that also. What i figured it came to be was too much heat causing the vinyl and banner to wrinkle. I lowered the heat and or turned it off and no more problems. I do not use a take up reel though.