• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

XC540 - Help needed- Changed 2 print head and now it is printing like the attached...

AC-Signs

attachment.php

This is a test print from the Roland XC540 Pro III - I had changed out the LM and LC Print Heads, replaced all of the card cables between the Head Board and the Carriage board and the Carriage Board and the actual heads. The heads that were giving me a problem are performing beautiful, as well as the CMY, but the K is misbehaving.... Any thought? I have checked all the cables and they look to be seated correctly. I was told it could be electrical distortion, but they would not give advice on repairing it. They want a tech to come out and survey it. I don't have time to wait fort hem. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20151109_201712651.jpg
    IMG_20151109_201712651.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,924

AC-Signs

Tried cleaning the encoder strip... same result... I did a test print from the printer with the card cables to the black head disconnected and the black did not print at all.. So that should rule out any dripping or rubbing by the head...

WalkerP

Turn off main power (I always unplug) and make 100% sure the ribbon cables going to the K head are clean, not scorched, and snug in the sockets. You can always swap the ribbons on top of the heads too and see if the problem follows the cable or the head. Of course the colors will print in the wrong locations, but will show you where the electrical issue leads.

AC-Signs

I switched the card cable from the head to the carriage board, at the carriage board side and the yellow started doing what the black was doing. so cant be the head... any other suggestions?...
This is a test print you can see the black head moving over with each pass and looks like it resets after about 6 inches of printing?.....
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20151110_135805712_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20151110_135805712_HDR.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 760

Bretbyron

I switched the card cable from the head to the carriage board, at the carriage board side and the yellow started doing what the black was doing. so cant be the head... any other suggestions?...
This is a test print you can see the black head moving over with each pass and looks like it resets after about 6 inches of printing?.....

If you swapped the Yellow cable and it started doing what the black is doing and then you switched it back and it stopped, I would have another look at the Black cable and switch it.

AC-Signs

If you swapped the Yellow cable and it started doing what the black is doing and then you switched it back and it stopped, I would have another look at the Black cable and switch it.

I had a spare cable and tried that in the Black, and the same results.... I did have my yellow cable a little loose on the Head Board and it did the same thing the black is doing, reseated the cable and the yellow worked fine... Not sure why this black will not cooperate....

devahoch

SIGN MAKING COMPANY
I have MUTOH, and I was have same problem, very very much times clean cable, replace cable, but still problem. In the finish I controled the DRIVE BOARD and hola, transistor A176 is broken. after replace this my printer works fine. on the DRIVE BOARD are two importand transistor A176 and C431, but replace those VERY VERY DIFFICULT.

DRamm76

Most likely the cables arent being seated properly.
Turn off the power and pull the plug from the back.
Disconnect all the cables going to the head and the board. check all the pins on the cables to make sure none are bent or broke. Reseat them slowly and properly and repower up the machine.

AC-Signs

I have MUTOH, and I was have same problem, very very much times clean cable, replace cable, but still problem. In the finish I controled the DRIVE BOARD and hola, transistor A176 is broken. after replace this my printer works fine. on the DRIVE BOARD are two importand transistor A176 and C431, but replace those VERY VERY DIFFICULT.

I assume you are referring to the Head Board which has banks of C4131 and A1746 Transistors. I checked each of them and they are all good. Thank you for the suggestion.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20151111_090203871.jpg
    IMG_20151111_090203871.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 799

AC-Signs

Most likely the cables arent being seated properly.
Turn off the power and pull the plug from the back.
Disconnect all the cables going to the head and the board. check all the pins on the cables to make sure none are bent or broke. Reseat them slowly and properly and repower up the machine.

Thank you for your assistance...I have tried that, tried it again this morning and still no success. Any other insight would be greatly appreciated.

AC-Signs

if you switched the cable at the board, and the problem moved, your board is messed up - look for ink in the cable seat

You say the problem is in the board, which board would you be referring to?... Based on everything I have tested I would agree it is not the card cables, but could be the Head Board or something in line before it. Any suggestions. I hate to throw parts at equipment, especially parts that cost hundreds of dollars..... Thanks again for your time!!!

J Hill Designs

You say the problem is in the board, which board would you be referring to?... Based on everything I have tested I would agree it is not the card cables, but could be the Head Board or something in line before it. Any suggestions. I hate to throw parts at equipment, especially parts that cost hundreds of dollars..... Thanks again for your time!!!

first place to look is the board that you made the switch at

it can't be the head since black printed fine with yellow data

just keep following the data backwards and switching until the switch no longer makes the problem change heads. Your culprit is between that place and the last place it did switch heads

AC-Signs

first place to look is the board that you made the switch at

it can't be the head since black printed fine with yellow data

just keep following the data backwards and switching until the switch no longer makes the problem change heads. Your culprit is between that place and the last place it did switch heads

I have followed it back as far as I can trace. The next step is replacing the Head Board...

player

It can be helpful to use magnification to inspect connections.

attachment.php

Attachments

• magnifying_glasses_vtmg13.jpg
    magnifying_glasses_vtmg13.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 757

AC-Signs

OK I spoke to the company that did repairs on the head board to get the LM and LC Head printing and they said it could be something in the black channel on the board.... So back to FedEx to overnight the part to New York! I hope this fixes the problems..... Should have it back on Monday and will keep everyone updated.