• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

xc540 hiccup I cant figure out

crny1

My xc 540 has starting doing something weird about every 3rd print or so. When the print first starts and the carriage moves towards the material the carriage will disconnect from the print head and then I get the carriage disconnected error. Turn off the machine, push everything manually back to the right, turn it back on, run setup and print again and it will work perfect. No its not hitting anything physically when it starts to moves and disconnects. And its not consistent. Any ideas?
THanks

woolly

I would move it all by hand to find the tight spot dirt or seizing head rail bearing.
Think the xc is similar to my sc pro 2 so you need to switch off and lower the caps to free the head so you can move the head
Has to be something quite drastic as it takes quite a bit of effort to separate the units. But think the problem is on the head part not the knife carriage.
Sure it' not hitting the media clamp

Has the carriage become louder than usual in the past couple months, any kind of grinding noises or anything like that? It could be the bearing are going bad and causing it to get stuck on the rail intermittently.

C5 Service&Repair

Check the belt tension. This is difficult to do without the proper tension gauge, but when the belt starts to give up or gets loose, the extra slack creates a jarring motion when the motor takes off and will disconnect the carriages.

JaySea20

I believe it is an electromagnet that holds those together. If your main ribbon cables have a short, it could cause that. Check bearings first though.

OADesign

I had something similar happen to my SC540 before. Older machine, same tech as far as the rail goes.
After a ton of stress and a few web searches I went back to the machine and examined super close. Didn't have time to wait for for a tech to show up. What I found was that the dust (years of ink overspray mixed with shop dust) and debris had built up right at the end of the carriages travel. Think of a high speed bump except dry ink instead of asphalt. It was just at the right spot that I could not see it unless I took the doors off. And once I saw it and moved the head back and forth, saw that it was just big enough to make the carriage jump when moving fast (printing) but not when setting up. I just cleaned it and rubbed new lubricant on the rail and the thing was 100%. Even ran a bit quieter after. Hope that helps.