• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

XF 640 printer head installation problems

Northstar

Greetings! We have a Roland XF 640 and recently needed to replace one of the two heads. We did this ourselves... Installed new dampers, installed a new pump. There are no leaks, no ink dripping anywhere. Yet the ink does not seem to be pulling through the printer head. When I do a test print (Nozzle check) nothing comes out. When I run cleaning cycles and even choke cleanings some ink pulls through the drain tubes, but there is a lot of air.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what is wrong. Any insight?

Ragnabrok

If you can see ink going through the head, but nothing is firing it's electrical. hopefully something like the head cables aren't seated all the way in, or a fuse popped.

Northstar

If you can see ink going through the head, but nothing is firing it's electrical. hopefully something like the head cables aren't seated all the way in, or a fuse popped.

I was thinking the same thing. Do you know how to test to see if it is electrical?

hazartilirot

Can someone please explain to me what the “Head Rank” is?
You should look at the service manual of your printer. Basically, Head Rank - is a unique code written on your printhead (or a box). There should be a label with letters and numbers (see the attachment)

If you need to know what side you should install a printhead look at the service manual! In RF-640 case the label should be on the left side when mounting a printhead. Once everything is connected and the printer is ready to start working..... go to Service mode and insert the code into the printer's "brain" so that it would identify the printhead.

As for Cleaning Cycles - they are irrelevant to the printhead itself..... When you begin any procedure with a pump.... it just pumps your inks up through Nozzles (if you connect a pump to a cap station when your printer is shutdown though the pump would be working - it will drain your inks anyway).

If you didn't kill the printhead, try to change fuses and cables. Make sure your printer is shutdown completely (pull the plug from a power socket) and check the side of printhead and the order of cables..... (the information is written in SM).

Attachments

• dx-7 3.jpg
    dx-7 3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 292
You should look at the service manual of your printer. Basically, Head Rank - is a unique code written on your printhead (or a box). There should be a label with letters and numbers (see the attachment)

If you need to know what side you should install a printhead look at the service manual! In RF-640 case the label should be on the left side when mounting a printhead. Once everything is connected and the printer is ready to start working..... go to Service mode and insert the code into the printer's "brain" so that it would identify the printhead.

As for Cleaning Cycles - they are irrelevant to the printhead itself..... When you begin any procedure with a pump.... it just pumps your inks up through Nozzles (if you connect a pump to a cap station when your printer is shutdown though the pump would be working - it will drain your inks anyway).

If you didn't kill the printhead, try to change fuses and cables. Make sure your printer is shutdown completely (pull the plug from a power socket) and check the side of printhead and the order of cables..... (the information is written in SM).

Thank you very much for this information: it has been very helpful!

I did replace head “B” and all is working but I never updated the head rank. I will do that in the morning.

I have the user manual for the XF 640 but not the service manual which details all the features of the service menu.

Is there any chance that you have this document and if so could you possibly share it with me?

It would be a great help!

Regards,
Keith.

hazartilirot

Thank you very much for this information: it has been very helpful!

I did replace head “B” and all is working but I never updated the head rank. I will do that in the morning.

I have the user manual for the XF 640 but not the service manual which details all the features of the service menu.

Is there any chance that you have this document and if so could you possibly share it with me?

It would be a great help!

Regards,
Keith.
Actually, you don't need a service maunal. There is written many procedures only..... You should enter into Service Mode.... that's it. You will find the HEAD RANK on your own. Luckly.... I've just found a video on YouTube

Go to SERVICE MENU -> PRINT MODE -> HEAD RANK (there are three submenus for typing the code)

Last edited:
Actually, you don't need a service maunal. There is written many procedures only..... You should enter into Service Mode.... that's it. You will find the HEAD RANK on your own. Luckly.... I've just found a video on YouTube

Go to SERVICE MENU -> PRINT MODE -> HEAD RANK (there are three submenus for typing the code)
Thank you very much for the response :)
I did come right with this over time :)

Last edited: